PetSmart - An awesome place to be | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

"An awesome place to be"

Pros

Management is awesome and they seem to really care about their employees. I am in college currently, and I love my job.

Cons

Customers are annoying as with any job. Other than that this place is awesome!!\

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart

"Slow Boil"

Current Employee - Pet Training Instructor
    Current Employee - Pet Training Instructor

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy helping owners be better animal care givers and want to see the Animals blossom through owner training it is rewarding.

Cons

False promises at hiring (No benefits as was promised such as Medical)
    Hired as a Pet trainer so that current trainer did not work back to back, yet I have only Sunday and Monday classes and work 80% of the time as a cashier and product recovery, and they are told they need 3 trainers per each store. Current customers who are seniors complain that there are no daytime classes and morning weekday classes as they do not like coming out on weekends reserved for family outings or at night because they are seniors. Management was advised of the requests...but will not create such time frames as it does not follow the prescribed P&P for training classes and because if the sales quotas are not filled it cuts back trainers hours. Lead trainer wants all of the commission for themselves and so schedules 90% of classes for them. Incentive to sell classes is lowered since one gets no commission for the "sale" of classes only if they are taught by you. Resentment for selling classes for someone else commissions using your information and talent and knowledge to bring them into training..

Was Pet care certified to assist with pet care which is always pressured, yet not really trained was given a book to read and take a test on...mainly so one can back up catching crickets or fish....yet I spend a fair amount of time educating owners in small pet care for their pets.
    Mind you I am probably more well versed in animal care in general as I am a certified Veterinary technician by education with 20 years of veterinary clinic experience.
    I rescued a reptile because of feeding practice based on P&P, due to underfeeding of babies they tend to "eat" each other due to having many in a small tank. Feeding crickets just once a day is a bit disturbing for babies who need to eat several times a day.

I am not Splash certified, but have assisted groomers with restraint. Of course I am probably better versed in such matters anyway as I have owned and operated a Boarding facility for 20+ years. Protocol of the "shave down" makes more money in time for groomers but gets a lot of dissatisfied customers who are horrified on getting a dog that is shaved down with a #10 blade for a "few" matted areas which can happen in any coated or double coated breed that any "real" groomer should be able to remove without much fuss in no time. There needs to be more groomers trained in correct "breed" appearance for grooming not applying shave downs as was done to a Scottish Terrier puppy who I referred that thought they would be getting a breed specific grooming. Shaving any Terrier breed should be a Not Ever kind of thing as it changes correct coat type.
    Groomers should be trained in proper animal handling skills to get toenail trims done. Less restraint issues would happen if they were taught that pulling legs away from the body instead of keeping them under the dog would result in less tug of war games.

As with any job there is lots of disgruntled workers and customers which is what a service industry always has to deal with. But the care and concerns of employees is drastically lacking in this particular store with low morale and a high turn-over rate in the short year I have worked there. Only managers get full time, and it seems preferential hiring is given to "kids" who often have a poor work ethic that call in sick, or fail to show up for scheduled shifts. One senior employee has not had a review in the 4 years they have worked there, I have not had any formal reviews except the one brief period in which I was told I was past my 90 days. I have seen a 10, 15, 13 cent raise. Apparently policy to is waste management and staff time to constantly retrain new hires on recovery and cashiering. So much energy and cohesiveness is lost when senior employees who would like more than a 3-10 hour week are left by the wayside with more new hires to train and retrain that they in turn leave to take other positions that offer more hours to them. Anyone who has owned any business knows it cost time and money to constantly retrain new workers, time which would be better spent in bettering services or building a good communication and morale with current workers for a better store.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees who try to help make improvements and gain you "sales". Hire new product advisers at corporate that really know the pet care and services industry that can select safer and easier products for customer use. Customers would like to see more "holistic" brands of foods available than current grocery store items. Educate store associates in real food information as just because a food is made by one company like Blue Buffalo for example it does not necessarily make it the best for a particular dog and to blanket push a food actually hurts consumers and is wasteful when they bring product back.

Appears to be a waste of store managements time to have them facing product shelves instead of having full time associates doing all of this work. If an employee is scheduled to work until 10 PM to have them short their hours because a closing manager wants to leave early at 9:30 is demoralizing if that individual is depending on those hours.

Probably not a good idea not to hire employees who have better animal care skills and knowledge about products than the managers do. Probably not a good idea to hire trainers with 40 years of dog training experience in behavior management and have them stand at a cashier while they watch the other pet trainer tell an owner with a geriatric 12 year old dog to push on the middle of its back to get it to sit or to watch them walk a dog around the store who is fear reactive and continually squirt it in the face with a water bottle for reacting when seeing another dog.

If you want others in the store to help promote and sell training classes then you should reward that effort with something. Even a $5 mark on their pay check would go a long way in that direction. Maybe Pet trainers would be more willing to sell classes into another trainers time slot since we need to sell classes that fit the owners schedules and desires.

2. "Decent for a part-time job"

Former Employee - O/N Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - O/N Customer Service Representative

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers were understanding of schedule issues - very flexible

Cons

Some playing favorites going on - preventing competent employees from working the floor.