PetSmart - Working with animals is my main motivation for working at PetSmart, otherwise it's not worth it. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

"Working with animals is my main motivation for working at PetSmart, otherwise it's not worth it."

Current Employee - Bather in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Bather in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my position, I get to work with animals all day. They bring me a lot of joy. In addition, I've gained experience in sales, customer service and working with a team.

Cons

The pay and benefits are awful compared to jobs with similar requirements. Employees are expected to work in an overly demanding environment (customer service, sales, knowing hundreds of policies/procedures, physical strain, etc.) considering the lack of training and support. High performers turnover easily because they become burnt out and realize their skills are transferable with more pay and a pleasant work environment elsewhere. There is little to no performance management for low performers creating and unfair and frustrating team dynamic.

Advice to Management

The communication between store, district, human resources and upper management is unreliable. Employees are given conflicting instructions weekly. PetSmart doesn't train their managers to effectively handle onsite employee issues; human resources support is national so issues are out of control before addressed, if at all. It is evident that customer satisfaction (regardless of situation) and making sales goals are far more important than the employees in the stores making it happen. There needs to be more balance.

Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart

1. "I got to see puppies almost every day, it was awesome!"

Former Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

I worked at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CUTE ANIMALS!
    People are nice too.

Cons

I didn't really see many cons in the time I worked there.

2. "okay pay, fun work environment"

Current Employee - Cashier in Fayetteville, AR
    Current Employee - Cashier in Fayetteville, AR

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

seeing all the animals was so much fun! i loved being a dog trainer and basically getting payed to play with dogs. although i was at once working 3 positions in the store and only made 7.75

Cons

low pay and dirty work sometimes