PetSmart - A welcoming place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

"A welcoming place to work"

Current Employee - Cashier
Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with animals, working with kind people (most of the time), fast-paced environment due to a sort of "big box" feeling while still retaining that friendly, family-focused environment for customers that keep them coming back! Good products that you can stand behind, a reasonable return policy and excellent proprietary brands.

Cons

Some customers are a challenge, unusual management styles higher up in the company leading to miscommunications and errors. Some customers taking advantage of a lenient return policy.

Advice to Management

Try introducing yourself to all associates & being friendlier in general. Associates should respect you, but not fear your visits.

Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart

1. "Great"

Current Employee - Support Manager
    Current Employee - Support Manager

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

pet parents make it worth going every day

Cons

teamwork isnt always the first thought

2. "Could be great but top management are out of touch with reality... Let's all be friends!!!"

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the atmosphere, a lot more laid back then most retailers, great work life balance, expectations for operating metrics are achievable and reasonable

Cons

Well all you hear are rumors of the DM having relationships with female managers, Expected to CARE for associates so basically being their best friend and you can not hold people accountable since they might be having a bad day and not feel like doing their job today ( I care a lot about associates but we all have a job to do in the end), Very outdated systems (windows NT), Never see the DM or ever see a member of the high level management, Lot's of talk about developing associates but in practice it does not happen, Skill generally doesn't matter it is how long you have been with the company if you want to move up ie you will be told you are not yet ready to move up but only advice is more time in position.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with what your managers need and empower them to run the business, Get rid of the CARE philosophy you took an ok idea and allowed it to be twisted, abused, and turned into not having anything to do with running a business. Ask your shareholders and they will agree not everyone should get a trophy just for showing up to work. We created a great place to work before you tried to force the lets all just have fun philosophy. I feel like I am running a day care not a retail store!

And spend maybe the tiniest amount on technology, you have everything on your side but if you keep this up e retailers will destroy you. We can not make a great shopping experience with out the tools that people see at all other retails. A customer should not have to wait 15 minutes for me to look up a receipt manually.