Petco - Love the customers and the store | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

"Love the customers and the store"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Ellicott City, MD
Current Employee - Department Manager in Ellicott City, MD

Pros

the customers and Employee's all love their pets
flexible hours
never bored, lots to do, tasks vary

Cons

more work then people available to do it in the specified time allotted
full time means 32-37 hours
annual raises are between .08 and .20 cents an hour

Advice to Management

Overall, I love working for Petco. I commend Petco for placing a huge emphasis on customer service. However, Petco assigns tasks based on how long it would take uninterrupted. On paper, the job looks easy, but it takes a lot longer to get work done with only 2 to 4 people working at a time.

Other Employee Reviews for Petco

1. "Been here for a while and hate it."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Corvallis, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Corvallis, OR

Pros

-Working with animals
    -Some of the customers are pleasant and I've come to know well
    -Most employees are good people when not at work
    -having a paycheck is good in this economy
    -location of the store is good
    -discount is ok for people that have a lot a pets

Cons

-Management is horrible
    -Upper management is just as bad as lower management.
    -Rules are unclear and conflicting at times
    -Most associates have received little training
    -Explications are unreachable or near impossable to meet
    -favoritism is common through the store
    -GM favors females over males.
    -General Manager throws hissy fits every time something bad happens, ie slamming doors, yelling at associates
    -the threat of losing ones jobs is constant
    -Human Resources is worthless
    -No comummication between management and associates
    -Company says our ideas are welcome, Corvallias petco managers say our ideas are worthless
    -General Manager does not listen to any employee, his way or the highway.
    -Expect to give respect no matter what to managers, people who don't deserve there position
    -Brown nosing is the only way to get promoted
    -No animal knowledge but still hired some to be our Companion Animal Manager.

Advice to Management

To Higher management, take a good hard look at what your employees are going through with the current GM. One would think that happy employees would work harder to make the company more money. But with the current way this store is being ran, you have some of the most unhappy employees i have ever worked with. Yes i know were all numbers to you and you guys don't care one bit.

Training your employees with a few hours of training videos and is not Training. For dealing with animals you need to have actual knowledge when it comes to what we can and shouldn't tell the customers. I can't count how many times i've had to correct people, even my direct manager about the correct thing to tell a customer how to take care of there animals. When is it ok to have management like that? Its never ok .

Review your policies on taking care of the animals. They should ALWAYS come first. Thats the company slogan right? Because my experience at Petco is, The animals come first, unless your general manager says so. His word is the truth and nothing else matters but what he wants. I've been a manager at several different places is my work history and i can' truly say this one of the worst places i have ever worked at, management is confused and terrible at there jobs. They get no help just orders and they give the associates unreal expectations to meet when its impossable to do so. In short its not a good place to work. My advice to the leadership at Corvallis OR petco is lose the GM, DM, And the other managers and try again. Perhaps some people with actual knowledge about there job and the ability to help instead of hinder employees.

"It was okay"

Former Employee - Grooming Assistant in Nanuet, NY
    Former Employee - Grooming Assistant in Nanuet, NY

Pros

- You have set scheduled hours (at least I did)
    - It could be fun if your grooming co workers are a great team
    - You get decent tips if your customers appreciate your work
    - The pay could be good if you work your butt off. (I was $6.00 or 40% commission, whichever was higher)
    -You are in a separate department that's closed off from the rest of the store so while there's chaos out there your department could be great
    - You get to be around the dogs and cats (if your groomer is trained to work on them)
    - You become friends with a lot of customers and they some of them only want you to work on their dog (some of which gave great tips like $20.00, etc.)

Cons

- Pay could be better if you don't get a chance to meet commission
    - If your coworkers are cut throat it's hard to make commission
    - Management only cared about numbers and could care less about the department other than money
    - Customers would request ridiculous styles or non policy treatments (dyeing fur color, etc) and will get p-ssed off if they don't get their way
    - Coworkers could be lazy and not help with the daily cleaning which included the garbage, the vacuum cleaning, cleaning the crates, and refilling stock.
    -Most customers won't leave a tip, and if they do the main groomer will probably hog all of it because even they do something small like trim furr around the feet they think they earned it even if you did everything else.

Advice to Management

Give ALL of your employees respect, not just the ones you deal with outside of the grooming department. Make pay something worth busting your butt over and your team will work harder. Just because YOU'RE stressed out about YOUR job don't ruin team morale because of it.