Petco - Stressful | Glassdoor

"Stressful"

Former Employee - Manager
Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Petco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excited kids getting pets. Discount. Steady work. Seeing cool new pet products. Making money. Co workers passionate about animals. Adoption.

Cons

No hours. Shifts cut often. Animals get sick and die. Stinks if your store has a rodent problem. You have to clean up dog poop and pee after guests animals who are too lazy to do it themselves.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and fairly.

Other Employee Reviews for Petco

1. "Ok first job, if you are a good worker you will end up doing the majority of the work"

Pros

I had a few pretty decent store managers. Training was good, I learned quite a bit. If you like animals you do get to spend time caring for them and such.

Cons

I frequently had to do much more than my fair share of the work because many of the other employees were lazy, inept, or both.

Advice to Management

Better people=better store=happy customers

2. "Unrealistic expectations on a shoestring budget..."

I have been working at Petco full-time

Pros

Working with the animals can be fun.
    Seeing the pets that come in is good.
    PTO is generous - if you can last at least a year.

Cons

Payroll sucks - and nobody wants to acknowledge it, yet they keep piling on one stupid project after another.

They want 'meaningfull engagements' with the customers - yet you are one of only 2 or 3 people working the entire store, while trying to complete a multitude of tasks.
    Great training tools (MLC) - yet no hours to utilize them...

They want you to sell dogtraining classes - but supply no support to execute the classes ($400+ in dt sales = 1 hour of payroll for 6 weeks, $360 - 3 classes sold - gets you nothing to conduct them.)

Advice to Management

Quit playing philosophical games (GROW models, Wags n Lics) and let your managers run their stores... where hours would go to people that deserve them.