Petco - been there for 14 years now. love my job. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

"been there for 14 years now. love my job."

Current Employee - Aquatic Specialist in Vacaville, CA
Current Employee - Aquatic Specialist in Vacaville, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

i get to work with animals, and help people. it can be fun, but its definitely hard work!

Cons

they pay is decent for a retail store, we have a great management team. they offer 401K and medical. but its terrible insurance and the premiums are ridiculous!! especially if you have a family. probably the only bad thing about working there.

Advice to Management

offer better medical benefits to employess after 10 years. they have earned it!!!

Other Employee Reviews for Petco

"Petco taking from groomer's pay"

Current Employee - Pet Groomer in Fishers, IN
    Current Employee - Pet Groomer in Fishers, IN

I have been working at Petco part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the staff are great people to work with.

Cons

In order for petco to "build" the grooming business, they want the employees in the grooming salon to pass out 25% off coupons and other coupons to potential new grooming clients. While this sounds like a win-win for the customer and for the grooming salon employee, it is anything but. Upper management makes it mandatory for us, the groomers, to pass out these coupons. Then when the customer uses said coupon it is taken out of the groomer's pay. Any sane person would see that this is crazy and possibly grounds for a class action lawsuit!! Where is the incentive for groomers to handout coupons when it takes away from their pay?!?! You would think to entice groomers to handout these coupons, that you wouldn't take it out of their pay and would offer a bonus for every new customer they earn in this way. Instead we are punished. I work in a salon with plenty of business, so to hand out these coupons and have one of these discounted dogs take the appointment slot of a full paying customer's dog just hurts my pay even more.

Advice to Management

Grow a brain

"Save yourself, run from this company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Petco part-time

Pros

The only good thing about this company is that you get to work with animals. However, if you love animals, don't work for this company.

Cons

Poorly managed and most staff members are horrifically overworked. It is not uncommon to work 18 hours in a row and not receive overtime since the hours span over 2 seperate "days". We do not have the proper tools to do our jobs. Little communication, even less training, worst customers ever. This is, by far, the worst company I have ever worked for in my 20 year retail career. I can't say too much or they will sue me for slander (yes, they will, I've seen them do it before). Do yourself a favor and forget Petco even exists. They are a machine which chews up employees and spits them out a mangled, bloody mess.

Advice to Management

Upper management: Harassment and threats run rampant throughout your stores. I know our dm is in our store an average of an hour each month. Maybe they aren't getting an accurate snapshot of what is really happening. Perhaps you should heed at least a few of the complaints you get regarding treatment of employees by your gms. Also, your "busy work" tasks to create "promoters", are really creating more "detractors" by taking away from what little payroll we do have, which you well know is not even close to enough. I could go on, but in true Petco fashion, no one would listen anyway.