Petco - ringing up customer items at counter | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

"ringing up customer items at counter"

Former Employee - Cashier in Miami, FL
Former Employee - Cashier in Miami, FL

I worked at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

easy, plenty of hours, getting to see pets

Cons

retail hours, weekends, crabby customers

Advice to Management

close on weekends

Other Employee Reviews for Petco

1. "A company that makes you proud to be a part of the team."

Current Employee - Customer Advisor Specialist in Battle Creek, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor Specialist in Battle Creek, MI

I have been working at Petco part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work as a Petco Customer Advisor Specialist. This is the best job I have ever held, and I am forging a fulfilling career. The staff is professional, positive, knowledgeable, fun, compassionate, hard working, and dedicated. This description covers employees from the store employees, like myself, to the management on up. Petco is not all talk. Animals truly come first, and no expense is spared on the proper care of any animal in the company's charge. The training is clear, thorough, an ongoing. Questions during the learning process are welcomed and answered thoroughly. Schedules are flexible within reason. the company policies are lineant and common sense. I have finally found a position that instills a sensde of fulfilment and pride. I do not make loads of money, but I would have taken a pay cut at any other job to be so happy doing work. The best part is the room for advancement into any position for which I am willing to learn the skills needed for the position. This means opportunities to make more money in a strong, growing, morally sound company.

Cons

I can hardly think of a single con. The average pay rate is cancelled out by the advancement opportunities, but that is just my opinion. There is heavy lifting from time to time, but others are always willing to help. It can be a touch overwhelming for any individuals with very little experience or knowleadge of animals commonly kept as pets. However, during training basic information is taught and reviewed on the various animals sold in the store. My biggest complaints are the cost of healthcare, having to sell sweet rats as feeders, and not having a set 1st or 2nd shift schedule.

Advice to Management

Nada, but I will let you know lol.

"STOP – They are moving everyone to San Antonio in the next 5 years, don’t waste your time"

Current Employee - Vendor Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Vendor Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bringing your pet to work (if you have one), watching games from the box (one time a season)

Cons

I feel as a whole the company has zero direction of where they want to go (it’s really day to day here), and if they do have direction they don’t share that information with the corporate office staff. San Antonio has been held over my head for a long time, it’s just a matter of time that the whole company is moving out there; with the 10-15% less they offer you. We have SO many VP’s it’s ridiculous, VP’s who report to SR VP’s who report to other VP’s…. So many unnecessary people on the top of the food chain that do NOTHING, yet so few at the bottom doing all the work. It’s a running joke that if your hourly you’re a nobody, and your title means everything here. The Merchants run the show, so don’t cross them or you just committed career suicide. I’ve applied for other positions within the company made it through numerous rounds of internal interviews and then was told that I was not “qualified” to move to the final round. WHAT? I make less now then when I started a year ago, raises are terrible and wearing numerous hats all the time because the turnover rate is so high doesn’t make you want to work any harder. I hate being in a meeting and hearing about how all the “salary employees” are going to spend their bonuses.

Advice to Management

Get some direction and stop taking jobs to SA, There are plenty of good people here in San Diego that want to make a difference in the pet industry and WANT to continue to work for you if you would just do right by us. We are not just a head count in SA so STOP treating us like we are.