Petco - been there for years.... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

"been there for years...."

Current Employee - Aquatics Specialist in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Aquatics Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vacation
Flexible schedule
Great staff
Fun job
Animals
Fish are fun

Cons

Corporate visits
inconsistent schedule
Workplace Politics
Only male
Tedious

Advice to Management

More labor hours

Other Employee Reviews for Petco

1. "I would never recommend working for this company!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Selden, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Selden, NY

I worked at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The interaction with people and pets, full time health benefits not bad

Cons

Horrible management, lack intergirty, discriminatory, no policy manual available to employees, human resources doesn't respond to repeated phone calls(not even for a simple address change), low pay, no job security (subject to manager's mood swings). You take your chances, you may get a "good" manager. You may get a "bad" manager, in which case they can and will make your 8 hour day hell

Advice to Management

stop scraping the bottom of the barrel for store managers. Promote team work, don't just talk about. If you can't bring yourselves to really care about your employees, do a better job at faking it.

2. "eh...don't waste your time."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hendersonville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hendersonville, TN

I worked at Petco part-time

Pros

Decent pay for a student, mostly friendly customers, seeing people & their pets, shifts go by pretty fast

Cons

The store was often filthy and stayed filthy for weeks at a time. Training is basically everyone for themselves. You come in & watch videos for a several hours and at the end you're prompted to do some on floor training--but that will never happen. Even when I was trained for the animal maintenance, I watched the trainer do it for maybe 15 minutes before she told me to do it myself without any knowledge of any of the animals as she left to go socialize in the office. Unorganized. Usually 'short handed' yet plenty of senior employees socialize in the office while maybe 1-2 newer employees have to fend for themselves on the floor. Cashier training was non existent. I was pretty much told to work the register and figure it out for myself. Which caused many annoyed customers when I had to stop and ask someone how to do something. The hours could get ridiculous--even though, I gave management an idea of what my schedule is like during the week, they disregarded it several times and still scheduled me for long hours on days that I had completely told them I was unavailable & would promptly get annoyed when I had to make a change.

Advice to Management

Get better organized, communication is key, better training in every field, weed out the bad seeds and stop playing favorites with employees who've been there longer.