Petco - It's a dirty first job, but hey if you like dogs and cats and don't mind getting wet and hairy, this job is for you! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

"It's a dirty first job, but hey if you like dogs and cats and don't mind getting wet and hairy, this job is for you!"

Former Employee - Grooming Assistant
Former Employee - Grooming Assistant

I worked at Petco part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great co-employees, all hard working, both Grooming Managers that I have had were inspiring and well-loved by our customers!
- Quickly paced, helps the hours go by
- Great learning and advancement opportunities
- Easy evening shifts
- You get to work with dogs! And you learn a lot about them, including breed identification and care

Cons

- Stressful, on your toes, action
- Very dirty job. Dogs stress out get diarrhea or puke
- Make sure you have endurance! Can take a toll on the body

Other Employee Reviews for Petco

"I lost my faith in God because of this job, nuff said."

Former Employee - Aquatics Specialist
    Former Employee - Aquatics Specialist

I worked at Petco part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interactions with customers who share interests with you.

Cons

-lacking ethics when concerning pet care policies.
    -grossly understaffed
    -too much pressure on cashiers to gather donations from customers
    -bureaucratically run (little to no autonomy allowed to the actual experts who work in stores.)
    -extremely high risk for moral and spiritual distress. That's right folks, NO GOD HERE!!!!

If you are desperate, about to be homeless, and are willing to sell your soul for $7.50/hr in order prevent complete starvation, then a job is a job. If you are a talented and knowledgeable individual who takes pride in your pet keeping hobby, especially if you are a seasoned aquarist, you will experience a reality comparable to Hell, plus it will be a serious and tragic waste of your talent. Just get a job at Target or something. After you've spent a year or two in this place, you'll feel like going anywhere else to work as long as it is easy. Unlike Petco, a non-pet chain retail job may not cause you to question God's existence...or will it..... ?

Advice to Management

Care about the animals and try to get at least three employees in the morning shift (1 doing reptiles and fish, 1 doing birds and small animals, and 1 doing cashier.) I had to do reptiles and cashier at the same time and it made my life hell, plus I had to cut corners on fish due to the lack of time I had to properly care for them. I basically fought a losing battle for a year before getting burnt out and quitting.

2. "love the animals and the people"

I have been working at Petco part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

get to interact with animals and happy pet parents!

Cons

i can not think of any.