Petco - Great Company Culture! | Glassdoor

"Great Company Culture!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Talent Programs & Systems in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Senior Manager, Talent Programs & Systems in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Generally, people who love animals are nice people. Petco is a very collaborative culture and the people who work here are great. I get to bring my dog to work and wear casual jeans all summer long. They have dog parks, foosball and a Wii as well as a beautiful facility in San Antonio. They really are great about following their values: Integrity, Learning, Continuous Improvement, Teamwork, Performance, Recognition and FUN!

Cons

For corporate associates, it is difficult that we do not get benefits for 3 months and are unable to contribute to the 401K for a year.

Advice to Management

Adjust the benefits by audience. Corporate has less turnover than retail so offer them benefits to complete with other corporate jobs and not other retail jobs.

Other Employee Reviews for Petco

"Low salary and long hours"

Current Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement because of employee turnover.

Cons

Low salaries for internal employees, terrible new computer staffing system which makes it very difficult to hire someone.

Advice to Management

Start drugscreening and raise internal salaries to help employee retention.

"Fun side job, doesn't pay the bills."

Current Employee - Dog Trainer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Dog Trainer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Petco part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You get to hang out with people's pets.
    - Ethical company in a stable and growing industry.
    - It's a chain retail job, so if you show up, do your job, and have a positive attitude, you will probably be a star employee.
    - Some prospects for advancement. I've been at the store for a little over a year and have seen several employees promoted, in one case to a management role.
    - Happy customers, for the most part.

Cons

- Low hourly salary and limited benefits. Many employees, even among store management, have more than one job to make ends meet. Hourly wage ranges for each position are set by headquarters with little flexibility. The annual raises max out at $0.25 for the top 10% of employees. Most get $0.15.
    - Hours are inconsistent and vary from week to week based on the prior week's sales. Managers must rewrite schedule from scratch every week and frequently screw up. You will sometimes go from 30 hours one week to 10 hours the next, a variability that is reflected in your paychecks.
    - Never enough employees on the floor to handle customer service and all of the tasks management wants done. Nothing is ever finished when it's supposed to be because we just don't have the manpower to do it.
    - High level of "churn" in employees (probably typical of the industry).
    - As a Dog Trainer, I get limited support in executing my job functions. I have to call customers and type schedules for classes on a phone and computer that are shared by four other people who are senior to me and are constantly kicking me off of them. Materials and supplies that I need are constantly running out and sometimes months pass before they are reordered, regardless of the number of times that I remind management.
    - As is probably typical in a chain retail store, everything is very driven by guidelines and metrics that always seem to be changing.
    - Advertising and marketing materials sent from national support center do not sync up with the schedule of our store. Don't tell me two weeks beforehand that I'm doing a promotional event when I have classes scheduled already at the same time that have been scheduled for over a month! My clients don't like being bumped!

Advice to Management

- If it's not broken, don't fix it.
    - Ditch the labor model and offer employees consistent hours.
    - Focus on retention.