Petco - Not the worst but could be better | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

"Not the worst but could be better"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Piscataway, NJ
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at Petco part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working at Petco for over two and a half years now. Honestly, the only real pro I can think of is the coworkers I personally work with. We are basically a family at the store I work at (except for the store manager) and the overall environment is usually pretty good. If it weren't for them, I'd be gone long ago.

Cons

I have two different store managers and they both are/were ATROCIOUS. Very poor management, rude, spiteful, care only about money, etc. Also, I definitely agree with someone else who said that one of the main complaints from customers is that the stores are understaffed. Like that person said, there are not enough hours given to said stores. This means that unless you are full time, your hours aren't going to be so great most of the time. Being that Petco is a corporate store, I strongly believe that their motto "Animals always come first" is a load. Money comes first. Also the policies and regulations are a bit off in some ways. The things they make us do such as tracking each customer we speak to, what their pet's name was, what we recommended they buy, what services we recommended, whether or not we asked for carry out, etc is rather ridiculous. If you are passionate about animals and don't mind what may be lower pay, you are much better off working at a quality privately owned pet shop.

Advice to Management

Hire better store managers who are as passionate, if not more, about animals as their associates and who know how to manage. Also, provide more store hours. I feel that budgets are too high sometimes and we always get negative feedback on our monthly promoters because there are not enough employees on the floor.

Other Employee Reviews for Petco

1. "Terrible management"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Petco part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Educating customers on the needs of their pets.

Cons

Working for inexperienced store managers who have no leadership skills. Getting less than 12 hours as a part time associate.

Advice to Management

Hire more experienced associates as store managers that have shown leadership skills and that can help groom and mentor younger associates.

2. "My experience at Petco was surprisingly crummy."

I worked at Petco part-time

Pros

Interacting with incoming animals, discounts on products, assisting customers with purchases, being a positive element to a customer's visit

Cons

Corporate structure, lousy pay, lack of trust, threats made by power tripping managers, nepotism, management playing favorites with similar races