Petco - Easy retail work plus I work with animals | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

"Easy retail work plus I work with animals"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Petco part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job is as easy as any retail job. Cashiering, stocking, cleaning. Plus you get to work and learn about a variety of small animals, birds, reptiles, and fish. If you have pets its a decent discount at 25% Petco brand, 20% on all else.

Cons

Their motto is "Animals come first"...wrong. Payroll does. We never have the staffing we need to properly take care of the animals and do everything else in the store as well.
Plus seniority has no factor in day-to-day operations or promotions

Advice to Management

I reemphasize the above statement. WE NEED MORE HOURS to have proper staffing.

Other Employee Reviews for Petco

"Great benefits little pay"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get amazing health and vision. Along with 401k. Selected products are sometimes anywhere from 20%-50%.

Cons

Little pay! All managers are underpayed with the exception of General Managers. Cashiers start of propably at around $8.50 if you are lucky the most you will start with is $9.50. Raises use to be given fairly. Now the most you can get is a quarter.

Advice to Management

STOP HIRING SO MANY NEW MANAGERS! EVER WONDER WHY SO MANY PEOPLE QUIT!

"Best pet company I've worked for!"

Current Employee - Inventory and Pricing Department Manager
    Current Employee - Inventory and Pricing Department Manager

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at several pet supply type businesses, and I have trained dogs for years. I honestly can say that going to work is a joy these days, rather than dreading the work day. My store I work for is clean, friendly, and knowledgable. Every store is different, and each district and the managers in those districts can be different, but I know that out of all of the companies I have worked for Petco treats their employees like people instead of just someone coming in for a paycheck.

The company offers discounts for associates, and is constantly trying to make things easier for staff (be it computer structure changes, to wardrobe, to an on-going training program so you can learn more about products.)

Here are some pros I came up with:

Friendly company to work for; benefits are good; time off requests almost always are honored; consistently offering new training for partners (employees/associates); opportunities to move up in the company happen more than other places I've worked at; working with animals; nice employee discount, as well as offers each month just for associates; many more pros.

Cons

I really haven't met many negative things since I've worked here. I know that's entirely unhelpful if you're reading this hoping to get some reason not to work here, but I really have enjoyed working for this company.

Advice to Management

Spend more time getting all team members actively working to help the store (via meeting huddles or incentives.)