Petco - Loved working with animals, hated my coworkers. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

"Loved working with animals, hated my coworkers."

Former Employee - Grooming Assistant in Aurora, CO
Former Employee - Grooming Assistant in Aurora, CO

I worked at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

working with animals, tips (in grooming)

Cons

poor management, minimum wage, not flexible schedule, turn-over

Advice to Management

Don't ignore employee issues just because you can hire someone else.

Other Employee Reviews for Petco

"Oh no!"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with animals and great customers.

Cons

For starters, the pay is insulting and in Arizona they work you to death because you dont get overtime. This company is by far the most unethical company I have worked for. They do not value their employees and there are so many things that I have witnessed firsthand that are unbelievable. I have seen managers stealing, employees turned down for promotions because of reasons totally unrelated to thier job perfomance, harassment, confidential employee information leaked and so on... I had placed several calls to HR and upper management and nothing was done. My concerns were completely dismissed, so I left the company.

Advice to Management

Do your job!! You are an embarassment to the corporate world. I am ashamed that I ever for you.

2. "Great company culture and mission statement, unfair management practices at Mira Loma DC"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Mira Loma, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Mira Loma, CA

I worked at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was very impressed with the company culture and the programs initiated for the better of the company and the employees. Pets are not just a business but a personal passion to those who run the company, very impressive corporate culture.

Cons

Local senior management was not very open in their communication style. They appeared to be biased in some of their decision making which had detremental effect on the moral of the team. People were afraid to share ideas and opinions because appearance was that decisions were not always made based on performance but personal allegances. When a Operations Manager position became available, they did not post internally, eventhough, there were Operations Supervisors who were qualified to apply and be interviewed.

Advice to Management

Allow your people the opportunity to be truly open in their opinions and engage them in brainstorming activities before implementing chage whenever possible.