Petco - Great job if you like working by yourself | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

"Great job if you like working by yourself"

Former Employee - General Manager
Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Petco full-time

Pros

It's fun dealing with the animals and fish.
The pay was "ok."

Cons

It's unbelievable that this company can preach all day long about giving their customers great service but then not allow enough labor hours to successfully do it. I'm not talking about a couple of hours here and there. I'm telling you that it's not even close to being enough labor hours. MOST mornings it was me and one other employee. In the evening, it's again two employees total. On busy days, Saturday and Sunday, we had MAYBE 4-5 employees. It's a joke.

The micromanaging is off the charts. If you trust someone to manage your store, give them a little room to breathe. It's not necessary to have a conference call every day. It's not necessary to insist on duplicate reports to document things. Give it a rest until something needs attention.

Other Employee Reviews for Petco

1. "Petco Quality"

Former Employee - Animal Care Specialist in Edmond, OK
    Former Employee - Animal Care Specialist in Edmond, OK

I worked at Petco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was very impressed with how strict the company was about the care and keeping of the animals

Cons

You really earn your money! The work is HARD!

Advice to Management

Stop having the aquatic specialist help at the register. their job a;ready takes 51 hours per week when they can only get 40.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people work here! Vacation time is awesome! 144 hrs a yr after year one if full time. If you work hard you can move up quickly. Great pay. You get to make a difference in peoples lives everyday and educate them on their pets. Any job has stress, but this is worth it if you love animals!

Cons

DM's come in and stomp on you. They expect GM's to work nights and it is just a waste of time. Everything happens during the day. We have reports and cameras if there was any issue. There is no end game for GM's that want a regular life. Working Saturdays is not bad or working the one Sunday a month for ad set. It's just the nights. We have a great team. I do agree that if you are new to the company, you should put in nights for awhile to get a feel for what goes on. Most GM's work Tuesday night which is the slowest night and is just another body because it is mandatory. We are older adults with families. I have been with this company for many years. The only reason I would leave is because of that policy. I don't want to be 50 and working nights. Other than that I would retire here.

Advice to Management

Rethink making GM's work nights. We are making it happen on the battle ground. We give up a lot of time with our families. We work our essential days every year during the holidays and miss many family functions during these times. I know things like ad set is important. It should be a choice to come in early on Sunday or work the night. We have every report we need to be successful. This is coming from many seasoned GM's that love their job. Tenure should mean something. It's rough when your DM comes in and demands that you work nights and weekends when he or she does neither. I know they work hard but we do to and we know the business.