Petco - Trainee at PetCo in the Grooming Department | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

"Trainee at PetCo in the Grooming Department"

Current Employee - Assistant Groomer in Ahwatukee, AZ
Current Employee - Assistant Groomer in Ahwatukee, AZ

I have been working at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great schedule, fair amount of hours, great staff, commission, and over all a fun job.

Cons

Absolutely 100% on the dot clock in and out, slow days, low staff

Advice to Management

Better training for new Assistant Groomers

Other Employee Reviews for Petco

1. "Fun place to work!!!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Petco part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment to work! So easy and nice coworkers. Very patient customers.
    Goals were easily met.

Cons

Short staffed so it was very boring when there weren't any customers.
    Having to find things to do after prior tasks were done.
    Felt like the management wasn't really watching us and helping us improve.

Advice to Management

Make ways to oversee employees and give them pointers. Need more hands on training.

"Pet Stylist, Grooming Department"

Former Employee - Pet Stylist
    Former Employee - Pet Stylist

I worked at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with the dogs and SOME of the groomers/bathers.

Cons

Grooming salon "management" if you can call it that. At the salon I worked the grooming salon "manager" was just flat out crazy. She obviously has an untreated/unmedicated bipolar personality disorder. Some days she would come stomping in and refuse to speak to anyone for hours. Other days she would come in all sing songy. It was NUTS! This was the MANAGER! She ran the salon like an elementary school yard, lots of whispering, playing favorites, gossip, backstabbing and outright lies. She is about as mature as a 6 year old. Just a nasty person. Patholocial liar. She had no management experience, just happened to have been there the longest when the former manager left. She was what everyone referred to as a DOG HOG because she did not care about the salon, the other groomers or bathers and scheduled every dog for herself. She would have 12 dogs in one day while the other groomers would have 1 or 2. And the 1 or 2 that she would let go were the biggest, craziest, most difficult, messiest dogs and only the owners that she knew would not tip. Beyond greedy. She HOGGED all the dogs (and ALL the cats) for herself. It was impossible to make a decent wage. On top of that, she was an awful groomer! She did what she wanted and they usually came out looking rushed and sloppy. Because she was so greedy and tried to squeeze too many in one day. She was constantly injuring the dogs and trying to hide it from others and owners. If anyone else happened to cut a dog, she would make a HUGE deal out of it, and make sure you lost your commission (she never lost hers and always downplayed or outright lied about it). Upper management knows what she is like (they nicknamed her the Dog Hog) but refuse to do anything about it. Sales are way down since she took over and the turnover has been big. I and others quit soley because of her.

Advice to Management

You should listen when your lowly Bathers who have valid complaints about managment and the treatment of animals. We are on the front lines and see everything. Of course they whip things into shape when you make your (announced well in advance) little bs inspections. What a joke. Why don't you try popping into one of the salons when they DON'T know you're coming? I would NEVER take my own dog to a Petco grooming salon.