Petco - Dirty store and employees hate people | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

"Dirty store and employees hate people"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL

I worked at Petco part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being able to see dogs come into the store, talking with customers and getting to know them, learning more about dog food and treats; stuff that is relevant to me as a dog owner.

Cons

The store was too dirty for my tastes; I saw dust bunnies beneath every shelf, and sometimes on the sales floor during operating hours. My store manager grew up in Petco, but it seems like they don't have a proper training program, like they just promote from within without any additional training, besides learning from the person you worked with. The schedule changed every single week, regardless if someone had time off or not. The most important thing for our store were our "numbers" because corporate pressured the store manager to meet an expectation for ratings by customers, which is completely subjective. They don't have a proper system for inventory tracking; and although the employees there are honest, within the first week of me working there, I was able to figure out how anyone working there could be scamming the store. Lastly, I'll say that my store manager had been at the store for about a year, and two of the employees there had been there for like seven years. They completely undermined her at every chance. Not only that, but the store manager knows that they do not like her, a situation that exists because she is not properly trained in management.

Advice to Management

Get some training in management, from experts who can troubleshoot your particular issues. Stop being reactionary to corporate's pressure, and try to get ahead of their, what I assume to be predictable, expectations of the store. Fire the employees that show insubordination. Conduct monthly staff meetings, rather than a half-hearted conversation with whoever is on-duty at the time.

Other Employee Reviews for Petco

"The job is alright, the management is horrible."

Current Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Lake Jackson, TX
    Current Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Lake Jackson, TX

I have been working at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Who doesn't like being able to work with animals every day?! The customers are usually really nice and receptive to conversation. The discount is very nice, especially if you have several pets. The company itself 'seems' to really care about the animals first and foremost. There is opportunity for fast promotions.

Cons

Management in several stores is horrible. I often find myself asking how such ignorant people were able to coerce themselves into the position they are in. There is no direction, training, or organization in my store. Most of the management staff is lazy, pawning their job off to whoever comes in next. Often times, the animals are stuck dealing with it, whether it be excessive feces in the habitat or a dry water bowl.

Advice to Management

District managers: Do more in store visits. That seems to be the only time that my store runs the way it should. Make sure that your GM's are properly training their associates. My GM tells our DM that she is... she's not. I've been in the position I am in for 5 months now and I still feel lost. Listen to and respect your associates. I've never worked somewhere that had such a high turn over. TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN! Guide your employees in the right direction through proper training and coaching.

"Petco Employee"

Current Employee - Cashier in Oakland Park, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Oakland Park, FL

I have been working at Petco part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to assist customers in their search for any pet related item or service. Having the opportunity to work with all kinds of animals.

Cons

Everyone looks the other way for employees that have worked their for 6+ years. Work load trickles down and gets handed to the employees with the least experience. too many managers and not enough employees(too many indian chiefs and not enough indians)

Advice to Management

delegate better, and find more employees.