Petco - I really enjoyed working for this company because of the people I worked with | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

"I really enjoyed working for this company because of the people I worked with"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Petco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They did a great job with creating culture and fostering engagement. I consider myself lucky to have been able to work with talented individuals and leaders; the people I worked with at NSC and in the Field is what I enjoyed the most. Opportunities are available to those who prove they want it and can successfully execute. Petco is about performance and the bottom line, just like any other company.

Cons

I think it is the same challenges would you have at any company - needing to be more resourceful, innovative to do more with less.

Advice to Management

Good leadership while I was there. Really enjoyed and appreciated team building events. Continue to stay connected with the everyone throughout the org, and continue to be sensitive to those impacted by job relocation to San Antonio.

Other Employee Reviews for Petco

1. "Cannot afford to work there"

Current Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager
    Current Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working with the animals. Deep cleaning and socializing is my favorite time of the day. I was able to establish a nice customer base and really bond with our guests.

Cons

Where should I start? How about the fact I can't afford to work there. Despite increasing our promoter score, store margin, and increasing our current customer base I still cannot make enough to live adequately. Not a, "darn, I really wish I could buy that fancy purse!" it is a "How am I going to afford gas today?" I think it is quite appalling. I like the improved training, but I think they need to dive deeper into aquatic training.

Advice to Management

Look a little harder into compensation, if you want to keep the good employees around.

2. "Going downhill"

Pros

It's a fast paced environment, and there is always something to learn. I can't leave out getting to work with animals.

Cons

The pay rate is hardly competitive, especially when it comes to the amount of work that is expected of you. The company is always changing things, and wasting a lot of money in the process. The communication between the different branches of corporate needs significant improvement.

Advice to Management

Consider the long-term when investing in new ideas, brands, practices, etc. The company dishes out a lot of money to get these things going, only to change it up shortly after. If the company wants to get more customers, they need to start with the people who are running the stores. Employee morale has its limits when the compensation and lack of control is not there.