Petco - Not a good place to work for animal lovers. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

"Not a good place to work for animal lovers."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in South Jordan, UT
Former Employee - Sales Associate in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Petco part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Get to work with animals and animal lovers.
-Pretty fun job.
-Seeing puppies come in each month as the get bigger.
-Learned a lot.

Cons

-Horrible pay.
-Animals have a low priority.
-Too many expectations set on you, like having to get all of truck done in a day but still help 3 customers an hour.
-Management was aweful at my store, I was a sales associate being put on register and the cashiers were being put on the sales floor. When I asked why, I got written up for " questioning management" which apparently you are not allowed to do and then I was on register until I quit as a "punishment."
-Raises are aweful.
-Benefits are aweful.

Need I go on? Definitely one of the worst places I've worked for.

Advice to Management

Get some store managers who actually can manage. Stop being so concerned with stuffing your pockets and help your associates out more, we are the ones that make the money you stuff in your pockets. Animals should be number one no matter what. We shouldn't have to wait 3 or 4 hours before taking an animal to the vet. If an animal needs to see a vet, we should be able to take it right then. Stop advertising products for animals that injures or puts the animal at risk of death. As an example, bearded dragons do not live on sand, living on sand can kill them. If Petco really is all about healthy animals then show it in the stores.

Other Employee Reviews for Petco

1. "Really Depends on your GM"

Current Employee - Inventory and Pricing Department Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Inventory and Pricing Department Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's a fun atmosphere with people who love their pets and can be a great place to work. You get to meet people with the same passions and plenty of cute puppies. Corporate has a good philosophy, but your work experience truly depends on your general manager. Their think adoption first and new belief to find happy healthy relationships for animals and their owners is nice.

Cons

Corporate doesn't follow through with their philosophy to ensure that their individual store's are following them. They will not follow their own rules and regulations when it comes to customer complaints, so you have to be willing to do what it takes to make the customer happy. You will be asked to do tons of tasks while still maintaining a high customer satisfaction score with very little payroll to support both of these areas.

Advice to Management

Realize that you are asking you employees to have a greater knowledge of products and pets than your competition and pay accordingly and as always more payroll would be helpful.

2. "Needs improvement, but one of the better retail jobs"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with animals is a huge pro. Many great employees, generous PTO and plenty of hours. Lots of great discounts (except for "Petco" branded items, they never do special discounts on them).

Cons

Mismanagement, hiring unqualified managers, too many people with very limited availability, many slackers. Rarely adequately staffed for customer service (which is held over your head if you do poorly, despite being restricted to the hours they give you to use).

Advice to Management

Leadership is about setting standards by example, ditch the dead weight and get people in there who are willing to do the work. If customer service is as important as you claim, make sure you give enough hours to make it happen. When customers return food, it is thrown away, many of our groups would happily take them instead of it going to waste. We may be the most "ethical" company 3 years running, but there is always room for improvement.