Petco - sales associate | Glassdoor

"sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Arnold, MD
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Arnold, MD

I have been working at Petco part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with. If you enjoy taking care of in-store animals and meeting animals brought in by the pet parents, you will love this job.

Cons

Under paid, and understaffed because of that. People don't usually stick around for low pay.

Other Employee Reviews for Petco

"Where is the company going"

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you like animals you will like working here. Just know that it is not all fun and games. There is work to do and you will not play with the animals all day long. As most retailers we all have goals and are expected to hit and maintain those goals. The people you work with are for the most part a good group, we all like animals. I have enjoyed every manager and district manager I have ever worked for with petco. It is what comes from above or dictated to the regional managers to drive down to the minions.

Cons

Not sure what direction the company is going. Many senior management positions at the corporate office have been filled with out side managers. I have been in the retail field for a very long time and petco has been one of the best retailer I have worked for. As this current year has started I am no longer sure how friendly of a place petco is going to be to work for. Pay is not great for management staff and the raises are worse, but the stress was low. Now I am no longer sure. I worked for a high stress retailer at one time and the pay was great, but like I mentioned it was full of stress and many 60 plus hour work weeks. I liked petco because of the lower stress levels and much more easy going. I fully believe this is about to change dramatically. The regional manager just threatened all the general managers this week with their jobs if the store can not sell at a minimum amount of dog training classes per week and it does not matter what volume store you are. First week will be a verbal, then epn, final epn, then termination for not being able to sell dog training classes in your store. Grooming? do not make budget do not get a bonus this year. I think the stress levels are about to go thru the roof. petco is a profitable company and I see them being around for a long time but is now seems that with weaker than expected sales last year profit and sales are going to trump employee friendly. I see lots of turnover happening in the near future. Customer service is job one, the payroll to accomplish this is not and the tasks have never been reduced. As most retailers you must do more with less, oh we have a time management study to tell you that you are taking to long to do your basic job, you do not need more payroll work smarter, harder and longer and by the way no more payroll. For years we have been told we will get more payroll, what do we get, we get a meeting telling us that we are not doing our jobs properly and if we did we would have plenty of payroll for the store. I do not think anyone in upper management has ever tried working in a store, they are afraid to. Come spend a week, a month with me and you will learn quickly that you can not accomplish anything in the time you allot to accomplish everything and raise the bar for customer service, and I am a very efficient manager. We are not cookie cutter stores, stop treating us like we are. There was a time when the store had plenty of payroll to accomplish task and service, then the bean counters came in and did lots of studies. Yes we need to be profitable and grow sales. But we implement everything in the store that comes down good and bad. But those who work their tail off getting it done are the ones who pay the price in the end and loose wages and salary.

Oh, and stop trying to tie a bonus into the salary you get paid. A bonus is just that, a bonus not a salary. so treat it as such. A bonus is not a guarantee ever as we found out this year. My salary is my salary plain and simple not a salary plus bonus money that may or may not be paid out. I get the joke, we all get the joke in trying to make it seem like we get paid more than we actually do.

Advice to Management

Get with it, you are the ones who are keeping the stores from making any real strides and rasising the bar. Yes we have bad managers but we have senior managers that think they can dictate better sales. Show me the money!

2. "Amazing place to grow!"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at Petco part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Petco for 9 months now, and I have been promoted twice so far. Once from cashier to associate, and now to a team lead (CSA). If you have the knowledge, and a love for all animals, as well as an enjoyment for working with people; then this is the place for you! My particular store has the best management and overall team that I have ever worked with. Everyone has each other's back, and is always willing to teach as well as offer constructive criticism. Managers like to reward those who work hard and seek to improve themselves.

My personal goal is to find the best home possible for every animal that I possibly can, and it is worth the world seeing a little kid treasuring his/her new best friend!!!! Also my ultimate goal is to become a high school biology teacher, so constantly educating customers is certainly excellent practice!!!!

However at Petco it is rather difficult to get hired. As I mentioned, it is more of a family environment. When I was hired, I was the first "newbie" they had in a little over 2 years. They hire to keep you! That being said, you really do need to know a current employee, and you would need to be hired through word of mouth, and by building a positive relationship with multiple employees.

Cons

This is not an easy job! You absolutely need to know your stuff, and be a genuinely intelligent individual to run your departments effectively as you are constantly working with living creatures, and educating new pet owners on how to properly care for their animals! No slacking!!

Also an awful lot is going to be put on your shoulders each shift. Payroll simply DOES NOT allow enough hours for everyone, and as such the store is rather short handed most of the time. Maybe one manager, a cashier, and one associate or CSA altogether at any given time. Sadly you will be severely limited to part time work unless you make it up into management. Also the raises and overall pay sadly pale in comparison to other retail positions.... except for management of course.

Advice to Management

Petco you hire some of the most genuine people ever! Keep it up! However, managers, please please please, work on getting more hours appointed to the stores!!!!