Petco - sales associate | Glassdoor

"sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Arnold, MD
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Arnold, MD

I have been working at Petco part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with. If you enjoy taking care of in-store animals and meeting animals brought in by the pet parents, you will love this job.

Cons

Under paid, and understaffed because of that. People don't usually stick around for low pay.

Other Employee Reviews for Petco

1. "Amazing place to grow!"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at Petco part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Petco for 9 months now, and I have been promoted twice so far. Once from cashier to associate, and now to a team lead (CSA). If you have the knowledge, and a love for all animals, as well as an enjoyment for working with people; then this is the place for you! My particular store has the best management and overall team that I have ever worked with. Everyone has each other's back, and is always willing to teach as well as offer constructive criticism. Managers like to reward those who work hard and seek to improve themselves.

My personal goal is to find the best home possible for every animal that I possibly can, and it is worth the world seeing a little kid treasuring his/her new best friend!!!! Also my ultimate goal is to become a high school biology teacher, so constantly educating customers is certainly excellent practice!!!!

However at Petco it is rather difficult to get hired. As I mentioned, it is more of a family environment. When I was hired, I was the first "newbie" they had in a little over 2 years. They hire to keep you! That being said, you really do need to know a current employee, and you would need to be hired through word of mouth, and by building a positive relationship with multiple employees.

Cons

This is not an easy job! You absolutely need to know your stuff, and be a genuinely intelligent individual to run your departments effectively as you are constantly working with living creatures, and educating new pet owners on how to properly care for their animals! No slacking!!

Also an awful lot is going to be put on your shoulders each shift. Payroll simply DOES NOT allow enough hours for everyone, and as such the store is rather short handed most of the time. Maybe one manager, a cashier, and one associate or CSA altogether at any given time. Sadly you will be severely limited to part time work unless you make it up into management. Also the raises and overall pay sadly pale in comparison to other retail positions.... except for management of course.

Advice to Management

Petco you hire some of the most genuine people ever! Keep it up! However, managers, please please please, work on getting more hours appointed to the stores!!!!

2. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Centro, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Centro, CA

Pros

Co-workers and Managers are really cool and nice.
    They will work with your schedule and won't treat you low.
    Working with different animals is interesting and fun.
    Interacting with the customers and convincing them to buy a product.
    Always having something to do.
    Pay is good to make a small living, compared to other jobs.
    Store is at perfect location where there are always customers, so it keeps the business running.

Cons

Messy Customers, leaving items in other places or leaving their outside trash in the store.
    Irresponsible owners letting their dogs relieve themselves without picking up after them.
    Stubborn customers who aren't easy to cooperate.
    Store would have been a bit better if it was bigger, other than that, it is fine.