Petco - I've never had a more fulfilling job | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

"I've never had a more fulfilling job"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Petco full-time

Pros

It's a very rewarding environment if you are passionate about enriching the lives of people and animals. Even when the job gets difficult or less than ideal situations arise, you can be sure that those things are only temporary and constructive feedback is sought, listened to and acted upon whenever possible. There are many opportunities to learn and grow within the company. I began as a part time sales associate and worked my way up to a salaried position. If you have a General Manager or District Manager who is good at identifying and nurturing talent, you'll go far!

Cons

The workload is heavy! Whenever you add animals to a retail environment the number of tasks triples, but the number of employees to perform them does not. You have to be a very "hands on" person regardless of your position.

Advice to Management

Help your GM's to grow talent within their stores by encouraging cross-training. When the incentives for Animal Certifications went away, so did the desire for Sales Partners to take the individual certifications. Reinstate small incentives (like a one-off bonus per certification) and you will have partners who are more enthusiastic about taking the time to study and become certified. This should include grooming staff.

Other Employee Reviews for Petco

1. "The Quality depends on the district"

Former Employee - Avian Specialist
    Former Employee - Avian Specialist

I worked at Petco part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Promotes from within, Pets come first, able to learn about a variety of animals and their dietary needs & care, work close with management

Cons

short hours, quality of staff varies between districts, can be disorganized depending on location,

Advice to Management

Stores that achieve beyond sales goals should receive extra hours to handle customers. Provide more hours so that their is enough staff to manage animals and provide great customer service

2. "Good place with the right management, pay sucks."

Current Employee - Pet Groomer
    Current Employee - Pet Groomer

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Grooming-My clients love me, and will follow me anywhere, if it's petco or somewhere else .

Cons

The pay isn't great. Minimum wage compensation if you don't commission out.

Advice to Management

Give your hires better pay.