Petco - Got me through college | Glassdoor

"Got me through college"

Current Employee - Dog Trainer
Current Employee - Dog Trainer

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, time off is almost always given. Staff is very close, almost like having a work family. It can be rewarding to have customers come back repeatedly because they liked you. It's more than just basic retail, lots of knowledge is gained and relationships built.

Cons

Company wastes a lot of time on programs that are designed to "improve customer relations" while expecting amazing results without giving the time to follow through. Hours are awful, it feels like the better the store performs, the fewer hours given. Pleasing the upper management is next to impossible (not store, district and higher).

Advice to Management

Take the time to realize we are people, not robots. We do an awesome job with what we are given, and rather than taking away merit raises, use them to recognize those of us who are going above and beyond what is expected.

Other Employee Reviews for Petco

"A fun, but occasionally monotonous job"

Current Employee - Dog and Cat Department Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Dog and Cat Department Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work-life balance for this job has been unparalleled. My schedule has been altered to fit my lifestyle while I was in college and after I had my child. You do get a yearly raise, although it is meager at best. I loved the interaction with pets I had only a daily basis.

Cons

It can be monotonous. Also, it combines the two basic industries of retail and food; although it is not human food people still act similarly about their pet food.

Advice to Management

Give the district manager more power. We had people in San Diego making horrid decisions for our store.

"Lost focus on what really matters. Threats based "learning"."

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Animals
    Financially fit
    Few store closings
    Rapid growth (company not associates)

Cons

Promoter. A customers survey opinion of pricing and stock levels could mean less bonus, pay, and opportunities to promote. Could also cost loss of your job.
    Dog Training. A fantastic program but the pressure to sell has given the program a sour taste. Only 2 part time people are thoroughly trained in the program yet everyone is expected to sell it.

Advice to Management

Its time to start giving back to the ones that help you accomplish your goals.
    Stop holding managers responsible for a customer that states pricing is too high.
    Offer payroll to outside events so that stores don't feel a burden when trying to connect with the community.
    Overhaul the HR department so that they react to the threats from upper management. Retaliation is higher at petco than I have ever witnessed in another company.