Pets at Home - Slave | Glassdoor

"Slave"

I worked at Pets at Home for more than a year

Pros

The People you work with are amazing and care for the Animals in our care. You do get the opportunity to expand your knowledge within the company. (To a point) A pretty good hourly rate and a 20% staff discount To a point the management did recognise your efforts.

Cons

The training system is quite frankly a joke. It has improved but not by much. Management claim pets before profits but you are treated with an A and C (advice and counciling) If you don’t perform to there ridiculous sales standards. It’s not good enough that you turn up and perform if you don’t comply to the ever expanding list of expectations. Loyalty card sign ups and scan rates ,orders in store. Flea treatment sign ups by monthly direct debit when there is hardly ever a qualified person in store to be able to do that. Fish for opinions we are obliged to get as many as we can and each customer needs to give us a 9 or a 10 out of 10 for it to count. When we are moaned at for spending too much time with a customer when selling a pet or discussing nutrition . We also have to beg for their opinion. We are also encourage to lie on our online question sheet about our thoughts on the company? Suppose to be anonymous but you need to sign in to complete it so it’s clearly not! Management gain your sign in details too and sign you in before you start....The Pet pad is a work in progress and needs improving. Some stores are open till 10 which is ridiculous you hardly get much custom after 8:30 it’s only done to please the Vets we happen to share a unit with because they can’t be bothered to come down and open the door and the magement team didn’t think it through when signing on the dotted line. They keep moving the goalposts on the animal care. Have made changes but once again not thought it through beforehand. Working hours Change and the rota can be adjusted without your prior knowledge. Leaving you turning up late or early for a shift. Took me over a year to guarantee my 2 days off and even at the end one of those days was ‘negotiable’ half hour unpaid lunch fair enough but that’s on an 8 hour shift , should be entitled to an hour but then that would leave another collegue waiting or an empty shop floor, (if you work 6 hours you get nothing) and you have to wait in line so you could potentially have a lunch an hour before your shift ends. . A toilet break if your lucky on a 6 hour. The collegue room is also the managers office so if a meeting is going on you can’t gain access and sometimes have to lunch in the rain and a coffee is completely out of the question.

Advice to Management

Give your loyal staff a break. They deal with everything that is thrown at them and you throwing more at them is both stressful and counter productive. The stores make money don’t belittle the team ! Think things through before making decisions. Eg new bottles (ha complete joke) and veg? Why can’t the Rabbits have a bit of veg anymore?

Pets at Home2018-02-04
  1. "Love it!!!"

I worked at Pets at Home part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with animals is such good therapy

Cons

Smelling like Animals takes a while to wash off

Pets at Home2019-06-21
  2. "Working at Pets at Home was okay - plenty of chance to grow within the company, but not very fulfilling work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Pets at Home full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was fine working here - coworkers were very nice, and management was very fair, plenty of emphasis on team bonding

Cons

It can get a little boring sometimes - there are no enticements to get you to stay, or work harder, you are just viewed as a replaceable part of a large team

Advice to Management

Better communication with all levels of staff

Pets at Home2014-10-23

Discover more reviews about Pets at Home.