Pets at Home - Becoming an increasingly bad place to work. | Glassdoor

"Becoming an increasingly bad place to work."

Current Employee - Store Colleague in Brighton, England

I have been working at Pets at Home full-time for more than a year

Pros

We often have a laugh at work, sometimes get to work with animals, a lot of training, 20% staff discount. Tiny 20p pay rises for completing certain training.

Cons

Company wide ban on full time contracts, extremely low wages for the amount of knowledge required for the job, we're expected to have a wealth of knowledge about almost all domestic animals, trained in nutrition, basic veterinary stuff, and part time school teachers and still only paid minimum wage. Ridiculously un-achievable company targets, bullying emails from higher management piling on the pressure to achieve targets, belittling emails when we don't achieve them. Quite often you have to deal with horrible, self entitled customers with no regard for animal welfare. This job will give you horrible anxieties.

Advice to Management

Seriously consider paying staff a higher wage, reintroduce full time contracts and be realistic with company targets, because all these things are taking their toll on everyone's mental health. No one can afford their mortgages / rent / raising families etc on 16 hour contracts on minimum wage.

Pets at Home2019-04-20
  1. "Love it!!!"

I worked at Pets at Home part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with animals is such good therapy

Cons

Smelling like Animals takes a while to wash off

Pets at Home2019-06-21
  2. "Working at Pets at Home was okay - plenty of chance to grow within the company, but not very fulfilling work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Pets at Home full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was fine working here - coworkers were very nice, and management was very fair, plenty of emphasis on team bonding

Cons

It can get a little boring sometimes - there are no enticements to get you to stay, or work harder, you are just viewed as a replaceable part of a large team

Advice to Management

Better communication with all levels of staff

Pets at Home2014-10-23

Discover more reviews about Pets at Home.