Pew Charitable Trusts - yes you can make a difference | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pew Charitable Trusts

"yes you can make a difference"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pew Charitable Trusts (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic benefits and really interesting work. The people are great and if you want to work in a non-profit without taking the risk that the place will fold, this is the place.

Cons

Pew has grown very rapidly and the systems show it. Budget systems have now improved, communications and approvals for reports have been streamlined, but the contracting process is still slow and cumbersome. There's still no real internal communications function so the junior staff can be gossipy and cliquey.

Advice to Management

Keep fixing processes.

Other Employee Reviews for Pew Charitable Trusts

"Frustrated"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits; Working for a prestigious name

Cons

I couldn't agree more with the other reviews here. Pew hires smart, driven people. I was lured away from another DC non-profit. Biggest mistake in my career track.
    Pew is obsessed with optics and not interested in actually doing any substantive work. It is a pity since they have enormous resources and could really make a contribution if they want.
    Politics and paranoia is rife. Decision-making is arbitrary and there are no set processes for anything. In my time there I never went through a different process each time I needed something approved because it kept changing. It is maddening. The organization is top-heavy and managers do more editing and "fact" checking than any original work. Get used to meetings for everything and meeting multiple times for even the most mundane issues. There is the unwritten code of conduct which folks are only too happy to tell you about (no closed shoes, number of plants allowed etc.). I was prepared for the bureau"crazy" but was frustrated with the lack of direction and/or leadership.
    Pew hires smart folks and then suffocates them by not letting them do real work.
    The sheen of Pew wears off really fast.

Advice to Management

The word is out on the street , so shape up or risk tarnishing your brand.

"The emperor has no clothes! - Great Reputation. Disfunctional CEO."

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great reputation and great issues. Employee pay and benefits are the near the best for non-profits. . Smart, motivated and hardworking colleagues that are often the best in their field. A great resume builder. Nice offices and location in DC.

Cons

Micromanagement from the CEO has created a ridiculously broken and beurocratic approval system for everything including the most trivial issues. There is no dedication to support employees long term. Most employees feel like their position could be cut at any moment. Turn over is ridiculously high. The best and brightest in their fields are not given the responsibility to make decisions.

Advice to Management

The board needs a world-wide search to find a CEO that will give the employees the opportunity to do their jobs. When they do, they will meet their goal of changing the world in their chosen issue areas.