Pew Charitable Trusts - Culture kills, but smart people | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pew Charitable Trusts

"Culture kills, but smart people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros are the prestige of the organization which will follow you and speak for you even after you have left and the people you will work with will be competent and smart.

Cons

The culture is horrible! Others will likely talk about this, but there is a FEAR of doing anything wrong and of allowing newer/less senior employees taking the lead on projects. It is "common" or "normal" to cry while working at Pew because of the stress levels and frustrating bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Develop more opportunites for less senior staff to take ownership of projects.

Other Employee Reviews for Pew Charitable Trusts

"Great non-profit where you can make a difference"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at Pew for about two years and think it is a great organization. The people are professional, nice and very intelligent. The organization supports fantastic projects around the world and I have personally been able to make a difference by contributing to a research team. The benefits are great, including getting off early on Fridays in summer, generous 401K, and good work-life balance.

Cons

If you want to work in a non-profit that feels like a grassroots organization in terms of casual dress and attitudes, then Pew isn't the place for you. Pew is a non-profit that prides itself on humility, good data and respect.

Advice to Management

Human Resources could do a better job in the way they communicate to job seekers and employees but overall, senior management is excellent and focused on making things better every day for staff.

"rewarding personally and professionally"

Current Employee - Project Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Terrific people working on great issues. If you care about the environment or state policy there is nowhere better - tremendous resources devoted to solving real problems.

Cons

Honestly, the only thing I agree with other reviewers on is that reports do go through a thorough clearance and fact checking process before they are released. But that seems quite normal to me.

Advice to Management

Reading these reviews it appears internal communications needs improvement! I can only surmise that younger employees don't understand the careful data analysis that our field demands. I'm personally impressed that the CEO updates us quarterly on management decisions, and she certainly seems nice to me. Perhaps employees don't understand what working in a large organization is like.