Phaidon International - Red Flags Everywhere | Glassdoor

"Red Flags Everywhere"

Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Phaidon International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Healthcare, 401k was just launched, most employees are very nice people.

Cons

First, let’s take a look at all the 5 star reviews which are at most 2 lines long, very brief, and similarly worded. That alone is a sign there is someone posting quick positive reviews to bump up the overall score of this company. Without them I can guarantee this company would be a solid 2. Two, with the entry level salary be ready to have another means of income. Your pay stub will barely cover NYC rent, let... alone food, transportation, etc. The ads promise 60-70k income but that is with commission structure after you’ve rung deals, trained and learned the industry, which can take SEVERAL months so be ready to live penny to penny those few months (or more depending on your luck to place candidates). Considering another job to make ends meet? Don’t. The hours are 8:30-6:30 (and longer) so good luck even attempting to find a second income let alone finding time to enjoy personal life. Third, the company benefit “happy hours”, “vacations”, “Rolex’s”, are all narrowed down to a very few people. Happy hours are only for those who targeted their KPI’s and Cv’s. Then you will be rewarded with 2 drinks at the local dive bar. Yay. Vacations are for top billers only, there’s a top rookie spot but only 1 or 2 so good luck getting that. Rolex is awarded to the 1 top biller only once a year. Yet the position markets these things as they’re available to everyone. They’re not. Let’s be realistic. HR was terrible when I started. The lady rushed me off and was impatient and rude with me during my on-boarding when I first started which I could somewhat understand because she was working on other things for the company as well at the time. There is a real HR team now dedicated just to HR so that’s a plus. Inappropriate behavior in the office is a major con and reason for many people leaving. There’s a significant amount of employees that are not shy to drugs. Even the first HR was known to have things in the office. Once again, glad we have a new HR team. Now it makes sense why drugs weren’t so regulated in the office environment and events. Females may make up “42%” of the office or company or whatever but that doesn’t mean that the men aren’t touchy, aggressive, and sexual towards you. Many females have complained to me about how they were targeted drunkenly at an incentive lunch or Thursday drinks. Doesn’t matter how “inclusive and diverse” the company is when there is no knowledge of what sexual harassment and what is/isn’t okay. The fact men look at new hired females like hyenas look at fresh leftovers is not a great culture. Lawsuits waiting to happen. All managers may be “deserving” of their position but manager positions are picked by performance. Just because an employee has high performance and is billing well, does not mean they’re cut out to manage a team. Management is an art in itself, being a good recruiter does not forecast someone being a good manager.

Advice to Management

Your college life is over, the office is not a second round. Treat your job professionally. You set example to your peers. Stop sleeping with the other coworkers and doing drugs. That only sets example that it’s okay for others to do it and fosters this toxic environment.

Phaidon International2019-07-27

Phaidon International Response

August 2, 2019HR Business Partner

We are sorry to hear that you have not had as positive an experience as we would have liked. Our goal is to create a comfortable, transparent and meritocratic environment which enables employees to achieve success. We have a range of initiatives to incentivize our employees as we believe in meritocracy. As we have matured as a business, we have worked hard on creating a culture of inclusion and respect, where everyone can build a successful career regardless of gender. We have a zero-tolerance approach to drug use and sexual misconduct, it is important that instances of misconduct are raised through the correct channels in order for us to deal with them appropriately - we therefore strongly encourage you to contact the local HR team to speak to them confidentially on such matters. Please contact HR.US@phaidoninternational.com and we can discuss further. Thank you for your feedback.

"Good company"

Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Phaidon International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Very hard work no life outside of it

Phaidon International2019-07-25

Phaidon International Response

August 2, 2019HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback - we are glad that you enjoyed your time at Phaidon. As you probably know, we experienced hyper-growth in our 15 years, and developing a growth culture requires hard work and time. We pride ourselves in ensuring we deliver quickly to our clients' needs, which means we've built a business based on KPIs and deliverables. We recognize that this does lead sometimes to a high-pressure environment and can involve long hours. As our growth journey continues, we acknowledge we have some work to do around work-life balance. We are confident in the strides we are making. As we continue to drive a supportive and positive company culture, we appreciate your feedback that work is still required

2. "Great Place to work, great people"

I have been working at Phaidon International full-time

Pros

Great place to work great people

Cons

Long hours, high pressured environment

Phaidon International2019-10-11

Discover more reviews about Phaidon International.