Philips - Employee friendly culture | Glassdoor

"Employee friendly culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Philips full-time

Pros

Employee friendly culture, steady growth

Cons

Engineering centric management environment, process heavy

Advice to Management

Focus on the vital few

Other Employee Reviews for Philips

1. "Large global company -- much good, some bad"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Andover, MA

I worked at Philips full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Philips Healthcare is a large, global company and has good benefits, and seems to pay competitively, and they encourage wellness and balance. They have many systems in place that leverage their size to their advantage, and some that are a benefit to the employees as well. The company has many resources to help get the job done.

Cons

Philips has suffered from the economic woes of the past few years, and being based in Europe will probably continue to be slow-performing for a while. Their size can mean frustrating bureaucracy gets in the way of progress. Also, a trend toward shifting more and more engineering resources to India and China may mean limited opportunities in the U.S.

Advice to Management

Consider whether making U.S. engineers more efficient is a better strategy than shifting resource overseas.

2. "Been a fun ride for the last 8 years."

Current Employee - CNC Programmer/Operator in Littlestown, PA
    Current Employee - CNC Programmer/Operator in Littlestown, PA

Pros

Very laid back easy going place to work.

Cons

Being a union shop there is no feedback on you as a worker very often. We don't get performance raises so the bosses don't come and talk to you about your performance.

Advice to Management

Even though we don't get perfomance raises, perfomance evaluations would be nice. It's time Philips learns that LEAN MANAGEMENT DOES NOT WORK in our atmosphere. We are NOT one of your cookie cutter shops that build the same thing every day. Our work varies from day to day, light to light and there are several variations of a lot of lights. Our lead times depend on our suppliers lead times and they can't meet our needs sometimes. We need to stock MORE items so we are not short parts all the time like we are now. Take the time to sit down with the people on the plant floor and LISTEN to what they have to say about shortages and their jobs. You just might learn something about doing business when it's NOT A COOKIE CUTTER shop.