Philips - Place to take it easy | Glassdoor

"Place to take it easy"

Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Andover, MA
Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Andover, MA

I worked at Philips full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Work-Life balance: Many colleagues left at 4pm from Monday to Thursday. On Friday most people “work” from home. Of course there is little work happening. I know for a fact that some write mails on Thursday and push the sent button on Friday. If you like to take it easy, Philips is for you!
- Benefits and pay: Above market average

Cons

- Titles: Be aware that thousands of employees at Philips hold a Director title or higher. If you don’t have one, you are a second class corporate citizen in some situations. Then again, getting a Director title is rather easy, as Philips uses it extensively for motivation and incentive purposes.
- Leadership: My manager took his job very easy, so I had a lot of freedom to do whatever I wanted. Be aware that part of Dutch culture is consent. You will not get straight forward guidance, but rather long discussion targeting at getting almost everyone’s “I agree”.
- Communication/ culture: At Philips they use the messenger Lync. People sitting next to each other still chat. There is less and less face-to-face communication happening.
- Facilities: There are different facilities. I was sitting in building 1, which is a former production hall. Imagine hundreds of cubicles from the 60ies stuck in a stadium one next to the other.

Advice to Management

- Overall: Philips is much too big to be managed effectively. You will likely feel lost in the beginning in an organization that seems/ is unorganized. But that is why you get paid above market and are likely to get a title that other companies do not give for the tasks covered. If you are looking to take it easy and make as much money as possible for as little work as possible, Philips is the choice. If you are looking to learn, develop and be influential, look somewhere else.

Other Employee Reviews for Philips

"Good Place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Philips (More than 10 years)

Pros

Had Very Good Benefit Program

Cons

Everything changed with Funai relationship

Advice to Management

No need for advice, no longer doing business in the US

"OK"

Former Employee - Clinical Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Clinical Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Philips full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people. Innovative and challenging. Learned a lot.

Cons

If your not in inner circle good luck. West manager promotes favoritism/rewards for inner circle versus employees who work hard and have proven results. Culture of looking behind your back and careful who you trust. Certain project teams have poor leadership which leads to many headaches with implementation of products. Over worked with limited help and resources. Do not promote from within. No opportunity to grow

Advice to Management

Listen and provide environment of opportunity to grow within the company