Philips - Fortunate to Work for a Company Where I'm Making a Difference | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Philips

"Fortunate to Work for a Company Where I'm Making a Difference"

Current Contractor - Communications Manager in Andover, MA
Current Contractor - Communications Manager in Andover, MA

I have been working at Philips as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working here for a few weeks as a contractor. The other night I went home after work and during dinner I said to my wife, “You know…I’ve been fortunate to work for some really great companies (Fidelity Investments, Monster, Schneider Electric, Oracle) and I have to say that this is the first time I’ve ever truly felt that my work is actually making a difference in someone’s life. You hear people remark that all the time, to the point of it being cliché, but I can honestly say that I believe it and see how Philips cares about patients and is making a difference in the quality of people’s lives. As a contributing employee, that is a reward that is absolutely priceless.

Everyone here has been so open, accepting and nice. Whether they have been on my team directly or working cross-functionally, I was welcomed as part of the Philips team immediately. Never have I felt so welcomed…usually this take months, even years to achieve in a typical work environment. And although it may seem trivial, a lot can be said about people who pass you in the hallway who have no idea who you are and simply know that you are new, stop and say hello and are genuinely nice. Such an impactful and perfect example of the Philips culture.

Everyone strives for absolute excellence. These are not just words to Philips employees. Working in just these two weeks with Philips employees has made me want to learn more, be smarter, work harder, and do the best that I absolutely can each and every day.

Organization, structure, commitment, and work ethic are very much valued within Philips. It’s very refreshing to work in an environment that holds these values so high.

A plethora of information related to Philips corporate, healthcare, and the remaining businesses is available right at my fingertips. To be able to sit for a few days and just download and absorb all of this great information was actually enjoyable because of how easily accessible it was, how well written and concise things are, and how sensibly organized the content and material is.

My manager has been so helpful and flexible in terms of creating a schedule that works for me that includes working from home when I need to. Very refreshing!

I'm also being compensated very well!

Cons

The buildling isn't as modern or inviting as some of the places I've worked in the past. The office park is very much from the 1980's.

Advice to Management

Keep up the upbeat messaging around brand, innovation, and making a difference in people's lives.

Other Employee Reviews for Philips

"Moving in the wrong direction, from bad to worse"

Former Employee - Management in Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Management in Andover, MA

I worked at Philips full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ergonomic workspace
    cafeteria
    onsite gym
    area to walk

Cons

many including:

cutting corners
    myopic view of everything
    little to no training
    Europe first, everyone else second
    No diversity at all in upper management
    Zero opportunities for women to advance

Advice to Management

Diversity, simply. If the executive leadership in Holland is all the same gender and race you cannot see beyond that experience. (That speaks to the leadership that drives Philips Healthcare, Lighting and Consumer Lifestyle)

End the unethical practices taking place at Philips, period. Everyone knows if you say something about patient safety you will be retaliated against accordingly. This company is not fit to manufacture toasters, never mind medical devices.

"Everyone is interviewing"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Philips full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good starting position for young people
    As long as you are related to Andover (HP roots) you have tremendous opportunities

Cons

Employees are spending more time jockeying for position so that they do not get laid off
    Many are working while still trying to keep up with the workflow
    Flagship products rapidly losing market share as 2012 lay offs are catching up with the lack of position expertise of the new structure.

Advice to Management

You do not recognize those who actually do the work. Many are taking credit for others work to keep their jobs. Get to know who is really doing the work and reward those people.