Phoenix IT Group - Organised chaos | Glassdoor

"Organised chaos"

Former Employee - Engineer in High Wycombe, England (UK)
Former Employee - Engineer in High Wycombe, England (UK)

I worked at Phoenix IT Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Valuable experience gained in IT

Cons

Management were very unprofessional. Not organised, no career progression and too much work politics.

Advice to Management

Get professional managers who are organised and who listen to their staff.

Other Employee Reviews for Phoenix IT Group

1. "Stuck on first rung of ladder"

Pros

Great Staff, flexible hours to accommodate lifestyle

Cons

Lack of progress, many staff stuck in same basic role for over 5 years.

Advice to Management

Internal promotional opportunities

"A very disappointing professional experience"

Current Employee - Desktop Support Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Phoenix IT Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Can't complain, they pay on time every month
    - As mobile engineers, we enjoy some flexible time during the day
    - As mobile engineers, we enjoy the benefit of driving a company car for personal use (obviously, we pay part of gas and a contribution)
    - Standard benefits (Salary + holidays + private pension)

Cons

- No salary raise or bonus for the last few years. Some engineers haven't got a raise or bonuses in 5, 6, 7 years
    - Lack of training. I've been sent just to 3 different training sessions within the last 5 years
    - We have our appraisal every year (we haven't had one this year yet), but that's a mere formality. It doesn't matter if you reach a perfect review, it won't get you at least, a verbal recognition
    - They expect you to give 110% for the company, while they barely give the minimum for you to stay (well, I admit all companies do this, but Phoenix leads the list)
    - The HR department at Phoenix is the worst HR department I've had to deal with in my entire professional career. Starting with its management level.
    - Every mobile engineer can expect to be pushed into a consultation, redundancy or TUPE process at least, once per year.
    - There's absolute no morale or motivation among engineers to provide a great service. There's a strong resistance to accept the new and proposed changes, contract and T&Cs the company wants to apply, since they basically stumble upon the engineers' personal lives and time
    - The company hasn't changed the on call rates in over a decade. Now, the new terms and conditions offered reduce this

Once again, no raise for the last 5 to 7 years. It seems they (the senior management) have seriously adopted the motto: "Keeping your job is the new raise"

NO... Absolutely not. I don't do these kind of things to my friends. I would not recommend this company to a friend.

Advice to Management

You see and treat your employees (especially, your engineers) like inanimate resources, they're just a number on the payroll that needs to be "administered". You should start leading your engineers, recognize their effort and make them feel important, respected and recognized. Stop looking at your bad financial numbers and start looking at promoting and leading your best resource. It will definitely help you provide a highly professional service and keep a very satisfied customer.

I believe that at least, 99% of the mobile engineers don't even know the company mission and vision, they don't know and make the corporate culture [if it even exists] part of their professional lives. So, how do you expect them to be part of it, work harder and be aligned with the rest of the company to achieve its goals?