Physical Optics Corporation - POC is a good place to work for the right people. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Physical Optics Corporation

"POC is a good place to work for the right people."

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Torrance, CA
Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Physical Optics Corporation part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started at this Company in 1987, when it was a start-up Company. At that time there were less than 15 people. Everyone worked hard and it was like a family. After 2-1/2 years I left, since the job I was doing did not fit well with my qualifications. I returned 8 years later to a perfect fit for my capabilities and knew I would never leave again. At that time we had about 100 employees! Now it would be over 200, but having made 5 spin-off companies, some of the employees went with those companies, and some have been sold and two are doing well on their own with their own technologies and intellectual properties.

This Company tries to keep it like a family, but since it's continued growth, and having to find new locations for some divisions, it is harder to be as close as we would like to be since some of the divisions are at other locations. We have a few events each year just so we get to meet the new faces, but the growth sometimes is so huge it is hard to get to know them as we once did. Having a nice holiday party gives us the opportunity to meet the spouses/significant others, and we always encourage people to attend since it is an opportunity for their families to get to know us and understand why the jobs can be so demanding. I guess that comes with the rapid growth. People get stretched to the max, which is a good thing since they become more than they ever expected and gain more confidence with that growth.

Cons

Not everyone is a perfect fit for this Company. Some people leave and need to find other opportunities that may fit their skills better. The culture may be difficult for them to fit into. Some of these same people can often come back, and many have.

Advice to Management

Communication and respect to all employees to essential to make people feel they are successful and part of the team. People need to know they contribute and their talent is appreciated.

Other Employee Reviews for Physical Optics Corporation

"Not worth it, unless you just graduated from school with a graduate degree and you like to write a lot of proposals"

Pros

"Maybe" good salary and benefits. A good place to learn and meet some great people who work very hard.

Cons

I concur with all of what has been said by others. No opportunity to grow in your career and the company executives think that humiliation is the approach to creating innovation.

Advice to Management

Listen to those who have left and those who are still there, watch how your people spend money, don't only focus on military market (there is amazing ideas being created that if you look at the commercial market you would really grow), and get rid of your COO.

"chickens with out heads run this company"

Former Employee - Engineer in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Torrance, CA

I worked at Physical Optics Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great low level engineers to talk to and collaborate with. free coffee, free candy good health care benefits if you can afford the family plan even better. If you have great talent you can make it better here.

Cons

No Direction, upper management wants to know how to commercialize themselves more but won't do the work to find out themselves. Instead they go out and pay other people to do that work. When they hear what it takes they don't respond to the criticism. support staff is overall decent. Don't expect your paycheck every other Friday or every 1st and 15th for that matter. Try the 3 or 5 or 6 and 17, 20 or 21 maybe even 22 if there are holidays. Don't expect to get promoted for hard work just quit and come back as a consultant trust me you will make more money that way. They hire back employees at twice their salary always thru consultants. There are employees here who only come to work during proposals and ridiculous rates.

Advice to Management

Consolidate your upper management why bottle neck growth when the talent is at the bottom of the company. Trust your employees more it seems that the only way to grow here is to come from a high position else where.