Physical Optics Corporation - Not boring place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Physical Optics Corporation

"Not boring place to work"

Current Employee - Scientist-mid Level Manager in Torrance, CA
Current Employee - Scientist-mid Level Manager in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Physical Optics Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Unique place, beside universities, where 60+ PhD scientists can work on the projects they proposed theirself and won. Flexible schedule, average (industry) salary, decent benefits. High quality scientific and engineering personnel open for communication and support. Good technical support in proposals writing, budgeting and reports preparation. Secure job as long as you are successful in winning proposals

Cons

High stress due to need to work simultaneously on multiple projects, which ususlly are short-time contracts with limited funding. Very limited cooperation in proposals writing and project performance between divisions and groups. Individual efforts are encouraged more than team work.

Advice to Management

Encourage cooperation and team work. Use more carrots than sticks in stimulating scientists

Other Employee Reviews for Physical Optics Corporation

1. "POC is a good place to work for the right people."

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Physical Optics Corporation part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started at this Company in 1987, when it was a start-up Company. At that time there were less than 15 people. Everyone worked hard and it was like a family. After 2-1/2 years I left, since the job I was doing did not fit well with my qualifications. I returned 8 years later to a perfect fit for my capabilities and knew I would never leave again. At that time we had about 100 employees! Now it would be over 200, but having made 5 spin-off companies, some of the employees went with those companies, and some have been sold and two are doing well on their own with their own technologies and intellectual properties.

This Company tries to keep it like a family, but since it's continued growth, and having to find new locations for some divisions, it is harder to be as close as we would like to be since some of the divisions are at other locations. We have a few events each year just so we get to meet the new faces, but the growth sometimes is so huge it is hard to get to know them as we once did. Having a nice holiday party gives us the opportunity to meet the spouses/significant others, and we always encourage people to attend since it is an opportunity for their families to get to know us and understand why the jobs can be so demanding. I guess that comes with the rapid growth. People get stretched to the max, which is a good thing since they become more than they ever expected and gain more confidence with that growth.

Cons

Not everyone is a perfect fit for this Company. Some people leave and need to find other opportunities that may fit their skills better. The culture may be difficult for them to fit into. Some of these same people can often come back, and many have.

Advice to Management

Communication and respect to all employees to essential to make people feel they are successful and part of the team. People need to know they contribute and their talent is appreciated.

"Not worth it, unless you just graduated from school with a graduate degree and you like to write a lot of proposals"

Pros

"Maybe" good salary and benefits. A good place to learn and meet some great people who work very hard.

Cons

I concur with all of what has been said by others. No opportunity to grow in your career and the company executives think that humiliation is the approach to creating innovation.

Advice to Management

Listen to those who have left and those who are still there, watch how your people spend money, don't only focus on military market (there is amazing ideas being created that if you look at the commercial market you would really grow), and get rid of your COO.