Pier 1 Imports - Change the Numbers Game-Put Focus Back on Customers (Not Conversions) & Rewarding Good Work! (Not Mediocrosy) | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

"Change the Numbers Game-Put Focus Back on Customers (Not Conversions) & Rewarding Good Work! (Not Mediocrosy)"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Love the customers and great products! The company has great a employee discount. The work hours are flexible. With TeamWorks, you can access your schedule, share your availability and request time off online from home.

Cons

Everyone logically knows you can't make customers buy! But wait-you better find a way because it's your job here and the store is graded on it! For every 3 customers that enter the store, you HAVE TO make at least 1 of them buy 1 thing. Beg if you must that they at least buy something small. Whatever you can get out of them by any means necessary. Even if it means spliting their purchases into 2 at the register. While you're at it, shove the Pier1 Credit Card down their throats. Some feel this borders on harrassment of customers-and yes they do complain. Sales Leads and Managers are so pressured to meet these mandates that they often result to purchasing items themselves or covering up the sensors at the entrance that count each person who enters or leaves the store. There's a lot of manual labor (including cleaning bathrooms, sweeping, dusting or mopping the store) and it doesn't help that the pay and hours available are extremely low. Also, there is often NOT enough employee coverage on the floor. This poses a risk for increased store shrinkage and a security risk to employees, especially those of us who close the store at night because there is no plaza security. This store could potentially maintain #1 in its district. but low morale and poor staff management often hinders the store from reaching their goals. Management expects the Sales Leads to whip reluctant or low-producing Sales Associates into shape through so-called coaching & sales chats to no avail.

Advice to Management

Dont be afraid to hire a new team if the current one is not working out! Hold people accountable-literally. Start writing people up but don't turn employees against each other as a form of motivation! Treat your good employees better. Pay them better. Don't exploit good workers while mediocrosy from others! Stop hiring or promoting employees who are not eager to work nor are productive. If they don't want to produce or only want to work a few days a month just for the discounts, etc. give their hours to employees who actually care about their job and WANT to work. Above all, hire a competent management team who are actual real "leaders" , and give them the tools and authority they need to do their jobs. Recognize those who go above and beyond. Don't get so caught up in meeting your store's goals that you forget what's most important-your workers. Give employees incentives and reward them for their hard work.

Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports

1. "Overall, good job with OK pay and good schedule."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Little Rock, AR

Pros

I worked at Pier 1 mainly because employees receive a discount on merchandise, which I knew I would be purchasing anyway. I found that I excelled at sales and marketing and advanced to a higher pay scale within two months.

Cons

My only real problem was that, when I was there at least, management was hesitant to hire new employees though the store was understaffed, and that meant that employees were scheduled for more hours than they were hired to work, working at times they had said they would not be available, and were unable to request a day off at all.

Advice to Management

Te best advice I could give would be to stick to the schedule agreed upon when employees are hired. Overall, though, I would recommend that they continue to be positive and friendly the way they were when I worked there.

2. "Great college job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Anchorage, AK

Pros

- Great co-workers
    -No trash talking or gossip
    - Great opportunities to learn about sales goal and numbers, they include you in the sales rather than hiding them from you
    - 25% discount to employees
    - The more money the company makes the more payroll hours they have to extend shifts and add hours, hardworking employees get a chance to make a few extra bucks
    -Managers are smart and experienced
    -Managers are good with giving time off if it is requested in advance
    -You know what your schedule is at least a week in advance
    -You are allowed flexible hours, great for college students are working parents
    -Pressure to open Pier 1 rewards cards can be high, but you only get encouragement when you have trouble, and you get praise when you do, you aren't a "failure" if you can't.
    - You get opportunities to do fun things, like set up for new events, and get some artistic freedom in how things are displayed
    -10 minute break for a 5 hour shift (paid) and a 30 break for any shift over 5 hours (unpaid)

Cons

- During the holiday's there were less hours for the permanent employees (people not JUST there for the holidays), we lost 5 or so hours a week for about a month while the seasonal employees got the same. When the season picked up and the store hours extended we went back to normal hours though.
    -Some of the training during the holidays was less than desired, I was constantly having to do things for, or redo things that seasonal employees messed up.

Advice to Management

Let your employees know when they are doing a good job, and give them opportunities to advance or work more hours.