Pier 1 Imports - Worst Job Ever | Glassdoor

"Worst Job Ever"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Norfolk, VA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its a smaller store than say Wal-Mart or Target, so its easier to build connections with customers and have fun with a lot of the regulars who come in. Team members are generally friendly and easy to work with. Merchandise discount is generous.

Cons

Compensation is pitiful and the workload is heavy. There were several occasions when I had to unload a truckload of merchandise by myself. I think it was actually against company policy for me to do that, but managers tend to pick and choose which rules they adhere to and which are okay to just cast aside. There is an obscene amount of pressure on associates to open credit cards, all while expecting them to watch an entire sales floor with maybe one or two other people for backup. Every customer is supposed to be greeted, shown a new product, checked back on while shopping , offered the rewards card 3 times, and given a reason to return. Despite making my sales goals and having a standing reputation as the most reliable person on schedule I still recieved only "Average" marks on my perfomance reviews, which was probably done so that they could avoid giving me a raise. After working there for 4 years I was making about $7.82 an hour. Everyone I worked with said it was the worst job they ever had. Do yourself a favor and look for work in a better place where you will be paid what you are worth and treated with respect.

Advice to Management

You are not going to make it another 50 years if you keep things running things the way you do now. Your positions need to pay better and offer more benefits to employees. Also, all levels of management should be held responsible for their actions instead of making scapegoats of lower rung workers.

Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports

"Work you to thr bone!"

Former Employee - DC Supervisor in DuPont, WA
    Former Employee - DC Supervisor in DuPont, WA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working with associates and peers. Great vacation and personal holiday package.

Cons

YOU LIVE, BREATH, AND LIVE AGAIN PIER 1. I stuck it out for 2.5 years and really did well at my job. Scored really high on review scores and well liked by upper management. However, they really abuse supervisors at the DC level. During season time forget your life. Lots of six day work weeks and 10 hour day. After a while you begin to believe that this is the norm. I left this job because I accepted a position with another company.

Advice to Management

Dont work supervisors to death and abuse them. Just because they are salary doesnt mean they have to work 60+ hour work weeks.

2. "Pier !"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisonburg, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisonburg, VA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people and atmosphere within the company

Cons

Periods of down time and inactivity cause the job to be dull at times.

Advice to Management

Get Some