Pier 1 Imports - The worst place I have ever worked! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

"The worst place I have ever worked!"

Former Employee - Distribution Center Supervisor
Former Employee - Distribution Center Supervisor

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My peers and submitting my resignation.

Cons

Working as a member of management in the Savannah, GA DC was one of the worst experiences that I have ever encountered in my career. It was one of the most unprofessional enviroments that I have worked in. This company has no concept of work-life balance, working their supervisors 70 to 80 hours a week. The upper management team acted in a disrespectful and unethical manner. Resigning from this job has been one of the best decisions I have made in quiite some time.

Advice to Management

Close your Savannah DC or change the DC Director(dictator)

Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports

1. "Roller Coaster"

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Employee discount, fun merchandise, working with great customers, leading talented associates, great home office

Cons

New regional manager every 3 months. It is difficult to build mentoring/business relationships when there is so much inconsistency. There is a lot of pettiness and little remains confidential with senior management.

Advice to Management

Please fill your positions in a timely manner. It creates low morale and it is a difficult working environment.

"Sweet place, not so sweet work place."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You meet some nice people both customers and co workers alike. Pretty good discount if you like the merchandise there. Very unique things all over the store.

Cons

Right from the start expect to work a lot for minimum wage or just a little above it. You are expected to do shipment, clean, assemble furniture, help customers, and work the register. The hours are very much limited, and the work expectations for the amount of hours you are there for are sometimes unrealistic, and illogical. It's a bad investment of time. If it were money which in reality is because you do get paid; let's just say you'll lose more than what you make. Flex shifts are the most ridiculous thing ever, you have to call 2 hours before to see if they need you to come in. To break it down Flex shifts are a way to bring in extra help if the store is selling a lot which in lamest terms they are making profit, and if you are not needed then the company doesn't have to lose extra money which they are not making. So basically when you have a flex shift it's like you have to put your life on hold for 2 hours before to see if your needed or not. You may have a few small accidents such as cutting yourself with the blade cutters if your not careful, but that's a matter of individual safety. Sometimes you are expected to climb high up the latter(s) and it can get dangerous if no one is there to hold it.

Advice to Management

Marketing is a pretty big umbrella and under it is a specific section called Customer Service. Customer service starts out with supply and demand for a product, but the final sale of a product is at the lowest level which comes down to the store associates. Customers look for not just what they see and like, but also an experience. When employee hours, and schedules are fixed (without flex shifts) then expect a greater amount of good customer service. Good customer service creates customer loyalty and thus generates customer equity. Lower level employees don't live off 4hrs. a day and 20hrs. a week, and after a while they grow tired of giving a lot for little in return. I've seen the wearing on employees who have only been there a few months. I think Pier 1 imports needs to re evaluate the value of an employee because it's a store that gets many customers and out of 20 customers at least 9 of them have questions, and that's almost half.