Pier 1 Imports - Over staffed for seasonal means no hours for part-time newbies. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

"Over staffed for seasonal means no hours for part-time newbies."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very fun environment especially if you are into home accessories. Co-workers and managers were easy to work with.

Cons

Not good if you can't stand around for 8 hours even when it's a slow day, you have to keep pushing the newsletter on people which isn't too bad. Played unfair favorites in my case my co-worker felt cheated of employee of the quarter several times.

Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports

"A fun place to work."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New Bern, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New Bern, NC

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employee discount was a big plus. They offer insurance options for part-time employees. Opportunities to interact with people/customers from all walks of life.

Cons

Store managers are in charge of scheduling. My personal experience was that the store manager continually scheduled me and another manager for weekend shifts, but refused to work more than one weekend for every two months despite higher management requesting she work more weekends. They require you to push their store credit card, so if you have a problem pushing 23%APR cards on people, this may not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

I would advise regional managers to require schedule submissions from store managers along with sales reports. This would give better insight to what problems may be leading to poor store performance.

2. "It was an excellent opportunity to grow my customer service and communication skills."

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The retail environment is one that fosters growth in superb customer service. Every customer who walks in the door is acknowledged, and as an associate, one's duty is to meet their needs. The Pier 1 experience for employees is one of satisfaction for serving customers.

Cons

Unfortunately, the room for growth is relative to the store size. Upper management is not focused enough on growing their retail employees in terms of rank; only in terms of service to the customer.

Advice to Management

It would be beneficial to the retail employees who want to advance with the company if management would acknowledge their employees in this regard, and take the necessary steps to foster that kind of growth.