Pier 1 Imports - Its a job best for college students or teens without other work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

"Its a job best for college students or teens without other work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Employee Discount is very nice

Cons

They expect you to live and breathe Pier 1 and any rumors of a 2nd job or prospecting a job open a whirlwind of distention and Ill feelings towards you.

Advice to Management

It's just a job. Yes it's your livelihood but don't treat another employee like they are out to get you the second they start looking for more work... you only give out 20 hours a week at that pay and you expect us to all just stay? Honestly?!

Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports

1. "Good company overall, physically tasking, LOW PAY"

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am lucky enough to have a good store manager. This company has the potential to be great, but it all depends on your location. If you have bad management, try learning more about neighboring cities. Chances are there is at least one great manager in your region, if you find out which store that is, TRANSFER.

If you have a good manager, life is happy, easy and you can grow with the company. There are many people who have been with the company for 30+ years.

Decent benefits (even some available for part time employees), 401k, etc.

Company seems to actually care about its employees, we get lots of appreciation and gifts throughout the year.

Cons

Very little equipment to move heavy furniture and objects around. High injury rate with little to none reported. A manual forklift would be appreciated, or just the square footage in the stock room to not be forced to stack heavy furniture 15feet or higher.

VERY low wages for all the work we do. I worked as an associate for 4 years going from $8.00(minimum wage) to $9.00. Mind you I was constantly "Associate of the Quarter" being that I had the highest sales, most credit cards opened, etc. So it wasn't like I was paid that little because I was a bad employee. There were other employees who's pay increases were less than mine. One associate used to joke that his pay increase would buy him 1 soda for every paycheck and he would say "Thanks for my soda, Pier 1!"

Company expectations can be unreasonable, making it almost impossible to get bonuses, because to even make a minimum bonus you must have at LEAST +5% over your already ridiculous goal.

(( In addition, you are not given the opportunity for bonus every month, more like once every couple of months. So usually the months you DO make over your goal, there is no bonus offered. ))

Company basically expects you to force people to shop and open credit cards. We are told to keep going until we are told no 3 times.

After working here for about 2 years I realized that my back was constantly hurting, despite everything I tried to do to make it better. I had never injured it doing anything specific, it just hurt day and night no matter what I was doing. After talking to the other employees I realized I was not the only one.

Two years later I injured my back badly at work and I have come to realize it will never be completely healed... so I am in my early 20's and have now injured my back for life...

By the way:

Some regionals treats you like the reason for every problem they've ever had and make life miserable for you as well. If you are lucky enough to get a good regional then it is a decent company, but if you are applying in Central California North ( anywhere inside the perimeter of Chico, South Lake Tahoe, Elk Grove and Vacaville) I would go elsewhere, or apply outside of this perimeter to avoid unnecessary depression in your life. This region has a high turn-over rate due to bad regional management.

Advice to Management

Don't give out so many "gifts" for meetings etc., just pay us a reasonable amount for all the work we do.

We do the heavy lifting, and then get stuck with the medical bills.

A simple manual lift would be nice, with more room for back-stock so we don't have to stack heavy furniture super high and hurt ourselves trying to get it down.

"Pier Misery"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get in great shape moving and lifting furniture.

Cons

Long hours and bad pay. Inventory is completely disorganized. Truck days are awful for everyone in the store, including customers. Long time customer, after working for the company I will never shop there again.

Advice to Management

District Managers are very intimidating and not supportive to the retail staff. Not a happy place to work.