Pier 1 Imports - pier 1 is a store and a familyl | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

"pier 1 is a store and a familyl"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wheaton, IL
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wheaton, IL

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

staff is very close and friendly. managers are very supportive and generally support associates with tools on how to meet their goals rather than bossing them around. its a fun place to work if you are people oriented

Cons

never a chance to sit down until after your shift, or on break if you are an associate .

Advice to Management

keep up the supportive role you offer the associates and pay increases would be a great incentive as well

Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports

"pier 1 imports employee critic"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You receive a 25% discount, they normally work around you availability. Being able to meet different people.

Cons

You don't receive any hours as a sales clerk. You only work 4 hours once maybe twice a week so your subject to get an 8 hour check in two weeks time.

Advice to Management

The hours your employees work needs to be improved. In this day and age you can't be able to expect people to be able to make a living making minimum wage and working 8 hour every two weeks. You push making money for the company and opening credit cards, but you can't expect someone making the bare minimum and working the bare minimum to care about the job like someone making more than minimum wage and getting at least 20 hours a week. The company is set up to have to many people on the payroll, and therefore the hours are distributed very sparingly.

"Sometimes a bit "home grown," but very genuine..."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Columbia, MD

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, fantastic resources, tenured multi-unit and corporate team

Cons

Disconnect between line management, the field, and corporate

Advice to Management

Pier 1 Imports was a phenomenal company to work for. The multi-unit/district management throughout the country is very tenured and many, many corporate contacts have been with the brand for years. The company has a very cohesive vision and goal, and gives stores extremely challenging goals to meet (but they are not unrealistic). When I worked there, we were a little too lax about the return policy, and "trucks" are absolutely insane... sometimes one or two stock guys and a manager were unloading hundreds of boxes for hours in the pouring rain or a blizzard on an uncovered loading dock. The stockrooms are extremely small and I always felt that more selling cost (payroll) could be diverted to hiring a larger stock team. I also had a divisional director who, at the time, was extremely unprofessional and in the end, I left the company and a promising future with Pier 1 because of his behavior and lack of genuine regard for our store and the team. However, all things said, the product is fun and funky, the visual merchandising is clear and standardized, and the company's overall mission statement is very cohesive. I feel overall Pier 1 truly valued me, my team, and our customers.