Pier 1 Imports - No two days are the same | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

"No two days are the same"

Current Employee - Sales
Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is filled with a beautiful merchandise mix from around the world...it is very easy to work with and sell to the customers....the visual merchandising is uniform through out the company....most items are fairly priced....great clearance sales

Cons

Low pay for sales team...the corporate visual guides are not realistic for merchandising the huge amounts of stock we have,it is difficult to achieve all of the corporate goals with pushing the credit card and meeting the days figures as well as keeping a clean store and processing huge amounts of stock. Too many heavy and cumbersome items to lift and carry with little to no help.

Advice to Management

All stores should have an able bodied stock person to lift and get heavy items from tops of fixtures and someone to carry large and bulky items to customers cars.the person should work all the peak hours of operation...there could be a better way of boxing or wrapping gifts. Customers complain about that and lack of a shopping bag.

Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports

"Great marketing, needs more support"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pier 1 is a fun, dynamic and beautiful place to work. Always new products coming in that keep up with current trends.

Cons

The store carries too much merchandise that isn't bringing enough profit. I believe they could eliminate products like stationary and cheap toys, and provide more breathing room for the higher end products to be showcased and "shoppable". There is never enough room for all the products that come in on truck and stockrooms are overflowing and dangerous. Also, they could be more trend setting and less trend following.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I get the push for the credit card, but it gets to the point of predatory.

"Pro's and Con's review: Every Location/area is different. Feedback for CEO and Company."

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great staff (varies from store to store) , fun product, tons of resources and tools for developing skills and selling behaviors. Assoc. Discount., tuition reimbursement, fun gifts given to all employees during holidays.

Cons

Heavy work load, lack of time for proper training in all job titles at the store level resulting in sub par performance as a whole, not enough time to use all the tools provided, due to weekly hour caps that prevent employees from becoming full time and collecting benefits.
    this works for the company on paper for payroll and savings on benefits, but costs the store level talent and efficiency.

Advice to Management

Advice to CEO: Employee's enjoy the company as a whole. however, we feel under paid for our level of commitment, knowledge, and work load administered. I understand no system is perfect, but I feel as though, we should be compensated adequately. This is the biggest draw back and a key reason for higher management turnover or lack of interest in our company. I only say this to grow and become more efficient as a company.There is a lot of great talent that exists in our stores and DC's, let's focus on IN-HOUSE Talent and pay them what they worth.
    I am only one voice on this website, but you should multiply my thoughts by 200 for a smaller but more realistic figure.
    Anyone who has been with the company longer that 3 years, been offered higher positions and worked at multiple locations would agree with me.
    lastly, listen to your associates and stores, gather feedback every 6 months and re evaluate processes. We would all appreciate it :)