Pier 1 Imports - Sales associate's opinion | Glassdoor

"Sales associate's opinion"

Current Employee - Store Associate in Commack, NY
Current Employee - Store Associate in Commack, NY

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My co-workers are great and the merchandise is fun to sell. Most customers are easy to work with. Employee discount is decent at 25%

Cons

Company's policy re limiting work days and hours make it impossible to make any money. The hourly wage is poor...most of the associates are talented and creative w interior design and deserve well over the 8 or $9 per hr pay rate!

Advice to Management

Pier1 as a public company is very profitable these days and so you need to reward your front line associates w better pay and more hours if they want them! Do you really value your store associates or are we dispensible??the merchandise does NOT sell itself

Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports

1. "Great company for various career choices"

Former Employee - Regional Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Regional Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for in terms of growth and development.

Cons

The processing of truck in such a small stockroom

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing to keep the company moving forward

"A very stressful and demanding job for minimum-wage pay."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

There are discounts on shop merchandise. If you only want to work a part-time job and are very flexible, this might work well for you.

Cons

This is the most stressful job I have yet held. In addition to working the register, retrieving merchandise, putting together furniture, and (in theory) providing good customer service, for each shift I was expected to convince five people to sign up for coupon mail-outs and one person to agree to opening up a Pier 1 credit card. This was very stressful and difficult for me, because I felt very disrespectful not taking "no" as an answer from customers. I felt very much like a tacky and obnoxious telemarketer or door-to-door salesperson trying to get as much money out of people as possible, rather than focusing on a friendly and receptive relationship with customers that would leave them wanting to come back. So many of my interactions were scripted, and to be honest, someone with my personality could not read those lines without sounding very phony. Lastly, along with the minimum wage, Pier 1 hires only part-time workers as sales associates so that it doesn't have to give anyone benefits; only managers worked reasonable hours, and even they might not have gotten full-time.

Advice to Management

As a worker, I did not feel that customers came first at Pier 1. My experience working here has turned me off from patronizing the company; management and corporate both came off as rather money-hungry to me, and I was in fact hardly given an opportunity to provide genuine customer service. Please treat your workers and customers less like numbers and humanize your company.