Pier 1 Imports - You have to love what you do...and i do. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

"You have to love what you do...and i do."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Clifton, NJ
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have gained so much experience in decorating by working at Pier 1 that I have received numerous offers to decorate homes, offices, etc. I intend to look into advancing my education to include a degree in interior design, because of Pier 1.

Cons

In an environment where a position may need to be filled ASAP, there's not much in the way of preparing someone for advancement should the occasion arise. It seems to be more outside hiring, rather than promoting from within, again, simply because there's not much preparation or a "learning to advance" environment.

Advice to Management

Share your knowledge with your staff. Prepare them for advancement, instead of telling them why they couldn't be promoted (they weren't "ready" or "experienced enough". It's a reflection on you if you don't have any staff ready to advance when an opportunity arises.

Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports

"Horrible Job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to get a job there, especially during the holidays. And the job is really easy. They start you in the warehouse just opening and unwrapping merchandise and then they put you on the floor.

Cons

Bad pay. And worse hours. They are never consistent about giving them to you, will not hire you for more then 15 hours a week unless you are management. They hire too many people then have them work the smallest shifts. They have you go home early if the store is empty with no pay. They put you on call, and you only get pay when you get called in, if you aren't available you are in trouble.

Have to choose between working on the floor with horrible customers or working in the warehouse. The warehouse is nice, but management loves to punish you for skipping out on the bad customers, by coming in every hour or so and screaming at you. Plus the merchandise is just s@#t. I don't know why people shop here. I have been in the back room, it is totally s@#t plastic made from slave labor and priced up at least 20% above their profit margin. How do I know this? First cause the same s@#t is sold at Target less 20% and because that is the discount we get for working there. I'm pretty sure that's how my store stayed in business, by encouraging its employees to buy their s@#t at discount.

Advice to Management

If you are working for money, try to just yell less at those working for you. If this is a career, rethink you life work.

2. "Great people! Great pair of managers in the store!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice managers that allow you to have fun as long as you get everything done on the sales floor and backroom.

Cons

Sometimes you may work late when decor needs to be changed, but that seems normal to retail industry in general.