Pier 1 Imports - Good retail company and position | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

"Good retail company and position"

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

flexible part-time scheduling and relaxed atmosphere. particular location was very convenient for a seasonal second job - until the location was closed, but i was given the opportunity to transfer stores

Cons

retail position - low wage, but still above minimum

Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports

1. "Not Bad As A Part Time Job"

Former Employee - Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Leader

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time

Pros

Nice pay, cool products, interesting customers, pretty good growth potential.

Cons

As with any type of retail job you will be hounded about goals every minute of everyday. While this is to be expected, I think the responsibility of tracking sales goals every hour is a bit excessive and it ends up negatively impacting sales potential on slow day. If your complaining about not meeting a goal every hour it can end up decreasing worker moral.

Advice to Management

Stop talking about store goals while customers are in the store, it makes them feel like a number.

"Competitive even if they claim it's not"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Short shifts and 25% discount

Cons

- You typically only get 2-3 shifts a week, and at least two "on call" shifts. There is no consistency in which days you're working and what time.
    - The pay is not much higher than minimum wage, and any raise is a couple pennies (after a year of working there). This on top of 8-12 a week is not enough to pay the bills.
    - I was told they were super flexible should I need to change my hours. I got a second job (which pays better and gives more hours), and my manager was very disgruntled when I told her I would be changing my availability.
    - I have worked here for quite some time and they have only ever zoned me to register. Had I known this was a cashier position, I would not have accepted it.
    - They claim it's not a competitive environment that every employee is equal and we are a team with one goal, not individual goals. Yet, they are constantly competing with other stores and each other to get Pier 1 cards.
    - Pretty much, your job depends on the Pier 1 card. The way management has told me that I need to get a card has made me feel as though I'd be fired by the end of the day if I didn't sign someone up for one.
    - Bottom line, they care way too much about the Pier 1 card.
    - The on call shifts are extremely aggravating. Some are closing shifts, so you sit around all day until you can call two hours before the scheduled time. It definitely gets in the way of your personal life.
    - The staff are super cliquey. I have never felt welcomed by the team I work with.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the on call shifts. Relax on the Pier 1 card. Understand that some people need more than 8 hours a week, so you do need to be open to the idea of your employees having second careers.