Pier 1 Imports - Great job for students | Glassdoor

"Great job for students"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Spokane, WA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The hours and days are very flexible and ideal for students - my managers always made plenty of room in my schedule for my finals and were understanding about my change in availability every semester. Company culture demands professionalism and encourages fun. For anyone who wants to work in sales long or short-term, Pier 1 provides great training in selling practices and in ways to connect personally with your customers.

Cons

No one has the option of full time hours other than managers. Small pay raises occur regularly once a year with reference to how long you have worked in the company rather than to performance. Although my experience has been good overall, the major con of working for Pier 1 is simply that it is a corporate giant, and I often felt that while my store managers were entirely reasonable and generous, the company as a whole was more interested in its own growth and profit than in the growth and profit of its associates - lots of people like that schema, but it's not for me.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at your environmental practices (e.g. find a way to stop mailing every store 12 paper tags for an item that only a handful of stores even have one of in stock). Raise the available part-time hours to 30 hours/week.

Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports

1. "I loved working for Pier 1."

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Discount !!! Great people !!! Ability to invest in yourself and move up in the company. Great management training. Ability to customize your store visually to represent your area. Even once leaving the company in my management role to pursue another full time opportunity I remained attached to Pier 1, for seasonal help around the holidays, and to help with visual and floor moves. Couldn't give up the discount ! :-)

Cons

Payroll hours can be challenging. It can also be a physical job.

Advice to Management

Some of the expectations of the visual changes can be counterproductive.

"PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES BETTER: hourly pay is very low, no commissions and no incentives to try harder!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Port St Lucie, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Port St Lucie, FL

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

fun to meet new people and help them decorate.

Cons

need better hourly wage, bonuses, incentives to employees and have equal pay from store to store.

Advice to Management

Company need to pay their employees more than min. wage. You expect us to sell furniture and home décor, open up credit cards and more and there is no incentive when you make $8.00 an hr. You want to boost your market, start with you employers!!