Pilot Flying J - This company has left me with a bitter taste in my mouth that has slowly began to erode the lining in my stomach. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pilot Flying J

"This company has left me with a bitter taste in my mouth that has slowly began to erode the lining in my stomach."

Current Employee - Retail Cashier in Texarkana, TX
Current Employee - Retail Cashier in Texarkana, TX

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've made 2 very good friends while working for this company.

Cons

Since our company was taken over, workers that have been employed for years have suddenly become seen as incompetent and obsolete. Pay raises are almost nonexistent, and promotions go to the worst possible employees, who, by the way, receive very little training. The worst part is, former full time employees are stripped of their hours, forced to work only 3 or 4 days, but the company keeps hiring new employees, intentionally reducing the number of hours available for each employee.

Advice to Management

We have 2 general managers at our store, but somehow our store is among the worst managed i've ever seen. The problem is that both GMs are so concerned that the other might receive a moment of recognition that the other does not, or that one may get a smile from corporate management that the other misses, that they cannot manage effectively. Our night shift team is a mess, and coming from one who has had the task of managing that shift, I can honestly say it is not the fault of the lower management team. They can only do so much with what they are given, but they carry the blame if anything goes wrong. It does not take a genius to figure out that with 2 GMs, one should always be available to work nights. This will avoid any uneducated finger pointing when something is not done because it is very easy to blame someone else for their perceived shortcomings when you have never tried to work their position.

Other Employee Reviews for Pilot Flying J

1. "Good company to drive for"

Current Employee - Fuel Driver in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Fuel Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Regular hours
    Good benefits
    Stable company

Cons

Pay slightly lower than average

"Good not Great"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Findlay, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Findlay, OH

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good retirement plan, competitive salaries, great structure to the company. Pilot is well organized and run fairly well by many good managers.

Cons

A few managers are not very flexible in adapting to new ways of doing things. 24 hour facilities so management schedules vary greatly.