Pilot Flying J - Restaurant work OKAY, Store side probably better | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pilot Flying J

"Restaurant work OKAY, Store side probably better"

Current Employee - Cashier in Cordele, GA
Current Employee - Cashier in Cordele, GA

I have been working at Pilot Flying J part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pilot Flying J is a large corporation that takes wages, hours, and business operation seriously . Although they are primarily a minimum wage corporation, at least for the restaurant in Pilot Flying J for which I work, I hear cashiers for the store side are paid better. It's probably nicer and less stressful over on the store side as well, although you have a constant influx of customers. My experience must not be much different from a stand-alone restaurant, although there is the occasional interaction between us on the restaurant side and those on the store side. Overall, it is a job, and there are much worse places to work.

Cons

They are heavy on suggestive selling, making it feel like you've always got to pester every customer for every penny, instead of allowing you to really focus on the one true thing that matters - SERVING THE CUSTOMER! The one thing about Pilot is that they are money-Mizars; you will not ever get overtime, and there have been many occasions we just did not have enough employees to handle business.

Advice to Management

Be a leader in charisma, positivity, effort, discipline, cleanliness, pride yet humility, chivalry, upkeep, and leadership.

Other Employee Reviews for Pilot Flying J

1. "Fast paced and never boring"

Current Employee - RGM in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - RGM in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good opportunities for advancement. Company rewards achievement and gas an awesome bonus program

Cons

Typical retail challenges but nothing that can't be overcome with a little creativity and hard work

"Welcome to the Boys Club"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most if all weekends off as the GM due to the bulk of your business being during the week. The company really wants you to impact sales and service during those times. Training is ok, could be better and the perks for performance are great. I had an awesome year financially

Cons

Work life balance does not exist for employees in general. The company runs 11.5% labor maxtrix to sales and you will find yourself lacking hours to accomplish certain jobs. This brings morale down. There's not enough HR support for regionals so they do what they want and there's no support between their direction and you reporting abuse. reason why im leaving soon

Advice to Management

My advice is stop having multiple AGMT in the field to support growth and put more effort into lower management. Also put more HR resources to support the regionals and boost employee morale that there is a level of protection for them and they wont be a victim to favoritism.