Pitney Bowes - My experience at Pitney Bowes was disappointing. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pitney Bowes

"My experience at Pitney Bowes was disappointing."

Former Employee - Sales Executive
Former Employee - Sales Executive

Pros

They provide work/life flexiblity. Techs are very helpful. If your immediate manager is an old timer you are golden because of the knowledge they can share with you.

Cons

Number manipulation is rewarded. Its quanity verses quality in the Sales Executive position. Consultative Sales are what they preach but not what they want. You can make 20 sales monthly at 1,000 per and one sale at 20,000 and the 20,000 in not acceptable because it is viewed as lack of activity

Advice to Management

PB has a reputation of hiring and lay offs. If hired dont expect it to be long term. They will and have gotten rid of people in four months after hiring them.

Other Employee Reviews for Pitney Bowes

"Run for the hills!!!"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

Sales training, good resume builder, Solutions team is great, classic sales job.

Cons

One of the worst work experiences I have ever had. Ridiculously complicated/poor compensation plan - it starts you off at a 1% commission with the slight possibility of earning up to 11% commission if you reach sales revenue numbers that take 6 months to reach. The trick is that at 6 months your compensation plan gets set back to zero, and you are back to earning 1% commission . Management tried to explain that you can earn extra $$$ with the quarterly incentive bonuses which are designed to be difficult to obtain - again, another cruel practical joke. Let's talk about the slashing of the sales force in 2010. Over 50% of the sales reps were let go while the management that drove the Seattle district from the #1 spot in 2009 to the lowest ranking in 2010 were retained/rehired. The performance management process is brutal and unrealistic. If you are below 80% in your first 6 months on the job, you will be put on a PIP (performance improvement plan) and then a CAP (corrective action plan) and then fired. Management tries to sell the performance management as a positive thing - we CARE about YOU here at Pitney Bowes and about your SUCCESS. I don't think any of the sales reps bought that line. Management is more preoccupied with self advancement than connecting with the sales reps. The disastrous Conquest Channel is a good example of the disconnect. District Managers were instructed to hire competitive sales reps across the country to convert competitive accounts - these people were hired and without a manager for several months, given poor quality account lists, little/no support had their accounts stolen by the regular Pitney Bowes reps - the reward they received were massive firings across the board when they could not produce the numbers needed to satisfy the shareholders within a ridiculous 6 month time frame. All the while, the reps had to sit through bizarre district meetings where the District Manager told us how great things were, how awesome our opportunities were if we would just work for them (meanwhile most reps I knew were partially living off of credit cards to support themselves). It was like the fairy tale, The Emporer's New Clothes - the disparity between reality and the pep talk sales meetings was quite staggering. Management clearly had their favorites. Overall I would recommend avoiding this company, the industry is in decline and Pitney Bowes is stuck in 1987 and has failed to transform itself with the times......

Advice to Management

Your salespeople are one of the greatest assets to the company. You need to treat them as such instead of numbers. Give District Managers more autonomy so that they can manager to local market appropriately. Set realistic sales goals, allow more than 6 months to pass before you decide to kill a campaign/start firing people. The Performance Management process needs to be abolished - it does not have a positive effect. It is simply embittering and demoralizing. Develop and invest your sales people instead of just throwing them away or firing then rehiring them at lower compensation plan.

"I have ben treated fairly, with honesty and respect."

Pros

One of the most ethical, moral and charity focused companies that I have ever been associated with.

Cons

Company is challenged with transition from old economy (postage meters) to new world (customer communication management).

Advice to Management

Clarify where we are going...and let's get there.