Pivotal - High energy environment, values people | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pivotal

"High energy environment, values people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pivotal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Interesting products and technical challenges. This is a highly collaborative environment with engineers working closely in a large open, airy space. Working here is intense, but only from 9-6. The culture here is informal and fun.

Cons

Pivotal has only been around as a single entity since April 2013. Prior to that, the various groups that make up Pivotal belonged to at least 4 different companies.

As with any company that formed from multiple different corporate entities, different parts of the company often have wildly different cultures. The part I'm in is awesome: highly collaborative, low drama, low politics. Unfortunately not all parts of the company are like that. I do, however, believe that as the overall corporate culture emerges it is increasingly like the part I work in: no nonsense, people- and productivity- focused.

Advice to Management

I became aware of the reviews on glassdoor because we had a candidate decide not to pursue a job here because the reviews were "polarized." I think we should pay attention to the negative reviews here and take the feedback to heart. It seems that there are some things we could be doing better.

Other Employee Reviews for Pivotal

"Great Company with Great Products"

Current Employee - Senior Field Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Field Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Pivotal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The People, The Technology, The Offices, the Benefits, The Products, The Culture.

Cons

None worth mentioning, adding SSO between EMC and Pivotal would be cool

Advice to Management

Make on-boarding a little more streamlined. Add free online training (MOOC) for our awesome products to developers.

"Creative Environment"

Current Contractor - Talent Acquisition in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Contractor - Talent Acquisition in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Pivotal as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The largest factor I've come across in working here at Pivotal has been creativity. I've had the ability to build and launch new programs and projects that would take ages to implement at other companies. Once the management staff provides the high level goals, employees come together to own and launch the solutions. Opinions and ideas are very well received, while micro-management is at a minimum.

Cons

As people and programs have come over from EMC and VMware there has sometimes been a slow transition in thinking and process improvement. Pivotal is moving at startup speed and some of the staff need a little more time to ramp up and get on board with some process/system changes.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees. We work on the ground level and know a thing or two.