Planned Parenthood - Fulfilling and Supportive Employer | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Planned Parenthood

"Fulfilling and Supportive Employer"

Current Employee - Peer Educator - STARS in New Haven, CT
Current Employee - Peer Educator - STARS in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Planned Parenthood part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Planned Parenthood is doing some of the most important work in the country. Politically, it's an outstandingly positive force. The community of employees is incredibly close, warm, and supportive. Also, you often get free condoms/materials depending on your department.

Cons

I can't think of much except that occasionally, you'll get a negative response when you tell someone you work at PP.

Other Employee Reviews for Planned Parenthood

"Invaluable Experience, Long Hours for Unpaid Internship"

Current Intern - Development Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Intern - Development Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Planned Parenthood as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Learning how to use the donor database is a great and marketable skill to have. I have gained some fantastic experience and knowledge as an intern in the Development department. My coworkers are supportive, friendly, and helpful. I have gained both development-related (fundraising, stewardship, event-planning, etc.) skills as well as administrative skills. I have learned how to use great office skills like the mail-merge feature on Microsoft Word, as well as Excel, Outlook, and Publisher. I definitely would not be interviewing for full-time development/non-profit jobs without this internship. It also really aligns with my personal and academic interests, as well as interests I plan to pursue in the future.

Cons

The hours are very long for an unpaid internship. The posting initially said 10-20 hours, no specifics. When I received my "official offer" letter (after I had accepted the position by email), it said 15 hours per week. This is two full days, which is difficult given that I am still a full-time college student and have another part-time job in order to make some money. It is also expensive to take the train both ways with no stipend at all. They also don't have the capacity to hire me, which is something I wish I had considered before accepting the job. I would perhaps have benefited more from a company that had the funds/capacity to offer me anything at all.

Advice to Management

Restructuring in order to depend less on unpaid interns would be beneficial for all involved.

"Surgical Services"

Former Employee - Abortion Services Surgical Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Abortion Services Surgical Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to meet a lot of interesting people, by way of your patients. Some of very trying, but many will touch your heart. If you believe in the mission, you feel good about helping.

Cons

Unprofessional, mean-spirited coworkers and supervisors. Favoritism is rampant. The people who stay do so because they are unqualified to work anywhere else and the make the same amount of money. The patient load is incredibly high. Long hours some weeks, short hours others. Little to no career mobility. Vast disconnect between management & PR versus the assistants, nurses and doctors who actually do the work. One of the most depressing places I have ever worked.

Advice to Management

Affordable healthcare, please. It's disheartening to make $13/hour, pay over $100/mo for health insurance, and have it cover very little. Career mobility.