Plum Market - Undesirable, Unrewarding, Bad Choice. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Plum Market

"Undesirable, Unrewarding, Bad Choice."

Current Employee - Team Leader in Ann Arbor, MI
Current Employee - Team Leader in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow team members are great! I've worked with some really amazing people here and made quite a few lasting friendships.

Cons

Expectations and punishments are inconsistent, and based totally on the day to day whims of those in charge. Management is incredibly two-faced and responds mostly to butt-kissing and very little to quality of work. There is very little follow through on promises and new ideas are of no value. I also have been talked to, and heard others talked to in some of the most disrespectful language I have ever experienced from superiors. They try to create dissonance within a team, which they prefer to team members being too close.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees, under every circumstance, or they won't respect you. Honor real hard work, and not sucking-up.

Other Employee Reviews for Plum Market

"Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomfield Township, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomfield Township, MI

I worked at Plum Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent, cool co-workers.

Cons

I'm pretty sure all the current reviews are fake. Notice how they were written on the same date? I guess now I know what the Team Leaders are doing while sitting in the office all day long. The people who wrote all the previous negative reviews hit the nail on the head.

Advice to Management

You need to set clear goals and expectations for your employees. There are too many heads (Team Leader, Store Team Leader, Assistant Store Team Leader, Closing Team Leader, Supervisor, Owners) telling employees what to do and there is zero consistency.

"worst management job I ever had"

Former Employee - Bakery Director in Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Bakery Director in Bloomfield Hills, MI

I worked at Plum Market full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with a handful of great people who unfortunately tend to be overqualified and under-appreciated in their roles.

Cons

Poor benefits, volatile owner/management, inconsistent demands and expectations, no feedback given regarding performance.

I've worked some "hot heads" in my day, I was in the restaurant industry for several years and worked for corporate cronies after that. But, this place takes the cake. I was even asked in my interview if I could handle working for a demanding and sometimes irrational boss. I thought I had seen it all so I said "yes."

I was a department Director between 3 different location and was constantly told by the owner how great the management team that was handed to me was. However, I found them to be whiners and complainers who had no business in a leadership role of any kind, nor were they interested in solving their own problems or being mentored. I was constantly baby-sitting these these kids and trying to resolve their issues with their own employees. It was something akin to being a Resident Advisor at college. "He said this....she did that"

They constantly expected me to do half of their job in addition to my own. I have been mentoring managers for years and was expecting to do so in this role, but no matter how much I tried, they refuses to learn or grow professionally. One of them consistently picked fights with one of our most important vendors on a regular basis. The manager before me spent way too much time with them outside of work socially and coddled them on the job because they were friends. I was told repeatedly by the owner who hired me that behavior like that was NOT to continue.

The owner always told me I was doing a good job. I never had a performance review or got feedback that I was struggling to live up to the expectations or demands of my position. After they fired the only HR person in the company (he was "unnecessary," even though he was the only one with a clue regarding HR), they assigned an Assistant Store Manager to oversee employee relations. I approached her about a 6 month performance review I was promised when I accepted the job. She said she would take it up with the owner. I never got it, but was let go 3 months later.

I was somewhat happy to leave, since the last time I saw my immediate supervisor, the owner, was when he was loudly berating minimum wage employees for not doing things his way quickly enough after they had all been working 8+ hours on the busiest day of the year, Christmas Eve. I was shocked by his behavior and over the holidays considered making an escape. However, when I returned to work after the holiday, the same aforementioned Assistant Manager called me to come to another location an hour away for an emergency meeting. It was there, without the presence of my supervisor and the one who hired me, that I was let go with no reason. Fired by a person I had never reported to while the owner hid in his office.

Advice to Management

Try to be more professional. Give solid feedback, if people in management positions cannot handle REAL feedback, they are probably not qualified to manage.