Plum Market - A good job for a high school student | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Plum Market

"A good job for a high school student"

Pros

Vibrant coworkers and the work is at times engaging.

Cons

Management has their own ideas and will not take your advice critically.

Advice to Management

Be open to everyone's insight and deliver a more sound approach to your employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Plum Market

"Absolutely miserable"

Pros

I love my coworkers, and most of the team leaders.

Cons

I have been working in the grocery business for over. 6 years and have never had such a terrible experience. So far, I have only been working for plum for about 3 months but it feels like an eternity. The upper management is completely disrespectful to hourly employees and the pay is very unsatisfactory. Whole Foods and Trader Joes offer a much better pay rate. I took this job because I was desperate after moving to a new city. I am currently looking for a new job and will be very glad to leave. The rich spoiled owners throw terrible fits and berate workers in front of customers, the experience is very demoralizing.

Advice to Management

Therapy, you people have serious issues. Nobody should be this negative all the time. If you do not improve your behavior, employees will not stick with your company.

"The wheel is turning...but the hamsters are dead."

I worked at Plum Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I made a lot of great friends at Plum. I still talk to many of them. I met many great people while working for them. I learned a lot as well about the product I was selling, but that was mainly due to my own desire to learn and grow, not the company's desire for me to learn.

Cons

Upper management is all over the place. While working at one store I was called a "b*tch" by someone in upper management who never took 5 minutes out of his busy day of talking football stats with the other dudes in the store to actually talk to me. Now he runs that store. At the other store I worked for an ineffective, socially stunted and slightly sociopathic manager. When taking my complaints to him, or even just seeking advice, 9 times out of 10 I left shaking my head with frustration with nothing done to change things and nothing to give me the power to make a difference.

There is no consistency when it comes to performance, reviews or discipline. To have a year where your department is the highest comping department in the company, only to be give a $150 gift card TO THEIR OWN STORE is crazy. Just crazy. In this economy and industry, when you comp double digits you pretty much rock. But don't expect your managers to tell you that or to even pat you on the back.

While the idea of working for a company that was locally founded, sold many local products and seemed to have a good culture as a foundation was appealing to me. However, the level of stress that comes with getting 5 different directions thrown at you from 5 different managers was too much to handle.

The owners are hot headed and, at times, irrational. Yet they provide no incentive to do well. No reason to want to do better. Unless you are a family member or close personal friend of course. Nepotism runs high at Plum.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees and their moods. Listen to their concerns and address them. Keep a consistent focus on what is to be expected of your employees. And when those expectation are high (which they always are) compensate accordingly. Don't be surprised when the people who are doing their best all of a sudden up and leave you for greener pastures.